Some Mergetool's features

Troubles_In_ParadiseTroubles_In_Paradise Member Posts: 588
Hi guys!
I'm training myself about the use of Mergetool. Since I didn't find any documentation the "only" resource I found is the video that DenSter suggests in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=49215
It's not bad at all but there're some features about merging process that I didn't get (also because of my not perfect english :oops:).
So I would ask you the meaning of these features.

In the "Merge Version" report (tab options) I could find the following fields:

1. Default Manual Merge (options New and Custom)
2. Skip if Manual Merge (Yes or No)
3. Only Merged Objects (Yes or No)

I'm doing tests obviously but I really don't get what they do.
Does anyone that has already used this tool could give some information about the meaning of this fields?
Many Thx in Advance!
~Rik~
It works as expected... More or Less...

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Watch the 'getting started' one, and also the one called 'what is new'. He talks about those options at some time.

IIRC:
    1. Default Manual Merge (options New and Custom), this determines which is the most important object, the new base one or the old custom one. When you get into the manual merge screen you can tell where most of the code comes from by looking at the line numbers. The only way to see the difference would be to create two merged versions, one with each setting, and see what is different.

2. Skip if Manual Merge (Yes or No), this determines whether to open the manual merge screen. When you check this box, the mergetool will do everything that it can automatically, and it will skip the ones that it needs your input on.

3. Only Merged Objects (Yes or No) - I'm not sure what that does, but I think it means that the merged version will not include objects that have not been changed. If you follow all the steps you would only have objects in old custom that need merging anyway, so I don't know why it is there to begin with.
  • Troubles_In_ParadiseTroubles_In_Paradise Member Posts: 588
    DenSter wrote:
    Watch the 'getting started' one, and also the one called 'what is new'. He talks about those options at some time.

IIRC:
    1. Default Manual Merge (options New and Custom), this determines which is the most important object, the new base one or the old custom one. When you get into the manual merge screen you can tell where most of the code comes from by looking at the line numbers. The only way to see the difference would be to create two merged versions, one with each setting, and see what is different.

2. Skip if Manual Merge (Yes or No), this determines whether to open the manual merge screen. When you check this box, the mergetool will do everything that it can automatically, and it will skip the ones that it needs your input on.

3. Only Merged Objects (Yes or No) - I'm not sure what that does, but I think it means that the merged version will not include objects that have not been changed. If you follow all the steps you would only have objects in old custom that need merging anyway, so I don't know why it is there to begin with.

Thank you very much DenSter. The video I saw was a little older than the video you're suggesting me now.
    So I'll take a look to it.
    Many thanks also for your explanations about those 3 fields.
    For what concerns Only Merged Objects I think that must be used when user decides to have complete versions (not only customized objects), but I would not bet on it.
    Many thanks again you gave me a great hand!
    ~Rik~
    Hi guys, I've another question about Mergetool.

In the Mergetool Setup there's a field called Use Line Types. I'm not sure I understood well what it does.
    :-k If it's not enabled the tool doens't considere 2 fields different if their only difference is the ID vice versa if it's enabled... Let me know if I undestood well.

Many Thx in advance!
    ~Rik~
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    The mergetool comes with help files (in the same ZIP file as the objects), and I would expect there to at least be a short explanation of each field in there. I have not installed it myself but that's where I would look if I had a question like yours.

Did you install the help files?
    DenSter wrote:
    The mergetool comes with help files (in the same ZIP file as the objects), and I would expect there to at least be a short explanation of each field in there. I have not installed it myself but that's where I would look if I had a question like yours.

Did you install the help files?

Yes but I think I did something wrong, I followed this link: http://mergetool.com/addin_e/faq/FAQ_FAQ0002_WEB.htm
    but it seems like there's nothing in it :-k
    Look attached file:
    ~Rik~
  • rainergaissrainergaiss Member Posts: 43
    Did you succeed in working with Mergetool meanwhile? Because I also did not. I think because it comes from the US they do not know very much about local versions. And there is nobody who can give help (or wants to).
    Did you succeed in working with Mergetool meanwhile? Because I also did not. I think because it comes from the US they do not know very much about local versions. And there is nobody who can give help (or wants to).
    I'm following a migration from Nav 4.01 to NAV 2009 R2 because of this yes, I'm currently use the Mergetool.
    It's a very useful Tool and allowed me to cut strongly timing.
    What do you need?
    Do you need some training materials?
    ~Rik~
    First of all my help files do not work. The next is the setup. I don't know what all the fields mean. I could not find out how the "where used" works. The YouTube videos have such a bad resolution so you cannot really find out what they are doing.

I tried to redo the video from the NavTechDays but after about 50% I failed. I suppose all of my problems come from working with localized versions while others who succeed just work with the W1 version.

So first of all a "getting started" and the help files would be most important to me. Training materials would be of cause very helpful (in letters - not in video form). You seem to me the one and only who got it working (at least outside the US)

Regards

Rainer
    So first of all a "getting started" and the help files would be most important to me. Training materials would be of cause very helpful (in letters - not in video form).

Unfortunately the only material available is in video format.
    I found videos loaded on official web site very useful:
    http://www.mergetool.com/products/mergetool.html
    "What's new in mergetool" and "MergeTool - Source Code Analyzer"
    ~Rik~
    Do you work with an Italian or a W1 version?
    Do you work with an Italian or a W1 version?

Until now I worked with Czech, Slovak, Bulgarian, Hungarian and Romanian version.
    Our customer had branches in all these countries.
    ~Rik~
    And mergetool worked with all those versions? Or did you have to change the language to ENU during your work?
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Have you guys considered sending Per an email?
  • PerPer Member Posts: 46
    The Mergetool for sure work with multiple languages, but depending on what is done is a preprocessing sometimes required to remove captions before a merge to make less manual merging.

There is several videos on the Mergetool channel on YouTube.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Mergetool?feature=mhee
    The Playlist below is showing the process of setup and initial merge. I'm pretty sure it also mention the process of removing languages to make the merge faster. Importing languages afterwards is very simple when using Language Modules
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCB3AC3E7B4C73128&feature=view_all
    A list of features and additional resources is mentioned on the page below.
    http://mergetool.com/products/mergetool.html

We supply the tool for free to all partners and as you mention only have brief documentation. There is not online help for every field only FlowFields, TableRelations and Option fields has online help. This is created "automatically" with Online Help tool in the Mergetool.

We supply training as a paid service at our normal consulting rate. Normally with 3-4 hours of online hands-on training are you ready to use the tool efficiently. Getting familiar with the Mergetool is best done by having guidance for the first usage to prevent mistakes that make the result wrong. The Mergetool will save you hundreds of hours doing upgrade and maintaining customer install compared to a manual process. The tool has been constantly improved and updated the last 15 years.
    Have you guys considered sending Per an email?
    No - I did not know him yet.
    Per wrote:
    The Mergetool for sure work with multiple languages, but depending on what is done is a preprocessing sometimes required to remove captions before a merge to make less manual merging.
    What if I prefer doing more manual merging or having longer processing times rather than removing languages? By the way, this is exactly the point where I finally got stuck when I tried reproducing your NavTechDays video.
    Per wrote:
    We supply the tool for free to all partners and as you mention only have brief documentation. There is not online help for every field only FlowFields, TableRelations and Option fields has online help. This is created "automatically" with Online Help tool in the Mergetool.
    I just followed your description about the help files but I could not get them working. The topics are in the index, but the help texts themselves are not shown. It looks like it tries reading them from the internet but they are not found.
    Per wrote:
    We supply training as a paid service at our normal consulting rate. Normally with 3-4 hours of online hands-on training are you ready to use the tool efficiently.
    Sorry, but I cannot imagine how a (personal) hands-on training can look like. What tools do you use therefore? It must be a type of "web conference"?
    Per wrote:
    The tool has been constantly improved and updated the last 15 years.
    I'm in the Navision scene for more than 15 years. And I know a lot of people in this scene all over Europe. So I cannot understand why I don't find anybody who really works with Mergetool here since it must be a really powerful tool and I really do not have any doubt about this.
    Sorry, was just trying to link to the existing documents that exists.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I invested in training with Per and it is a remarkable tool and much easier to use when you know all the options.
    Since the tool is free, 3 to 4 hours of training makes it a bargain IMO - plus Per made a video of my training which means I can review it any time.
    Thanks David.

We normally perform training by using GotoMeeting. Everything is going to be done on your computer. Typically is the training using the real code example that you are trying to use the Mergetool for.
    Can you tell me a bit about the costs?
    Can you please send me an e-mail per@mergetool.com.