Options

How to install Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 and SQL Server option

sergio_navsergio_nav Member Posts: 17
edited 2011-09-29 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

I'm trying install Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 in my laptop but I encountered some problems with SQL Server Database.

I need to connect NAV with SQL Server with "multi company" option (like classical navision databases in .fdb extension)

This is because I have in my database approximately 300 companies..

(A few days ago, one of my company colleage, was install NAV with SQL server, but he told me that NAV created 800 tables per company... and I have 300 companies... it will be 240.000 tables and this is a insane!! :shock: )

During the instalation process (or later..) , can I select some options to configure NAV and SQL Server database with this especifications?

Thanks in advance
Sergio

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    No, you cannot select anything around this. You can only select which company you want to restore during NAV backup restore. But it as it is - each company is new set of tables&views on SQL.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Ok.. From my point of view, I think architecture is a mistake.. :?

But... What do you recommend?

Now, I have Dynamics NAV 5.0 with 300 companies and I consider migrate version to NAV 2009 R2.. for this reason I need the best solution.. and have 240.000 tables in my database is not a good solution.. :?

Have you thought about how it should be see tables tables in SQL Server Management Studio? Or launch one actualization to all companies...
    Sergio
  • Options
    SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    edited 2011-09-30
    sergio_nav wrote:
    Ok.. From my point of view, I think architecture is a mistake.. :?
    Now, I have Dynamics NAV 5.0 with 300 companies and I consider migrate version to NAV 2009 R2.. for this reason I need the best solution.. and have 240.000 tables in my database is not a good solution.. :?
    from my point of view, I think that you're not thinking.
    If you have a NAV 5.0 db with 300 companies, then you have a db with +240000 tables. open a company, select tables in the object designer, bang you have all the tables for 1 company. And even if the structure is the same in other companies it will still be a different table for each company.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • Options
    Does the structure of the application is not it?

Table
    Company (hiden field)
    Field 1
    Field 2
    Field 3

I'm surprised :?
    Sergio
  • Options
    KosheKoshe Member Posts: 37
    No, the structure is [Company Name$Table Name] at least that what you'll get when you restore the db on SQL server. The "hidden field" you're talking about is timestamp, which is used (if i'm not mistaken) for indicating of record changes.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    What you are describing with the "company" field is Native DB, not SQL... there you can look at the data in this way... but SQL have separate table as described by Koshe.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.