NAV 3.70b update

couberpucouberpu Member Posts: 317
Good Afternoon,

We had navision 3.70b since 2004 and we made a lot of modifications.
We do not have any navision support at this time.
The idea was to hold navision 3.70b while we convert into different ERP system. That did not go as planned and now the management is thinking about using navision again.

The immediate need is to get more user licenses and possible move into SQL 2005 database for better performance.

I need advise on how to do this short term solution 'cheap and quick'. And advise on the best way to continue with newest Navision.

**One suggestion from the management is to get the newest navision run time and that should allow us to get more user licenses, is that true?

Thanks,
CouberPu

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    edited 2011-09-22
    Hey Couber!

we are kind of in the same boat. We also use that version and no support.

Our plan was to use this version until it's limitations began to hold us back.
    Fortunately we haven't gotten there yet!.
    What we would do is install the newest version and just update the main tables, item, customers, vendors
    and start fresh. Keep the old system running along side the new one. only entering new information, orders, po's in the new system until everything was all "closed up" on the old system. Then just use it for reporting. We figured 6 months to a year before we would no longer need the old system.

The bitch is the custom mods. When you're on a system as old as ours - there are MODS-O-PLENTY!
    But I do feel alot of these mods have been resolved or covered in the newer versions and/or the new functionality will allow us to do things differently but efficiently, hopefully minimizing many of our current mods.

But since you have no support & you haven't been paying maintenance fees, I think MS might want to backpay that to get the updated executables & more users. Not sure, One of the people on this forum will know. I'm awaiting the official word too.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    couberpu wrote:
    Good Afternoon,

We had navision 3.70b since 2004 and we made a lot of modifications.
    We do not have any navision support at this time.
    The idea was to hold navision 3.70b while we convert into different ERP system. That did not go as planned and now the management is thinking about using navision again.

The immediate need is to get more user licenses and possible move into SQL 2005 database for better performance.

I need advise on how to do this short term solution 'cheap and quick'. And advise on the best way to continue with newest Navision.

**One suggestion from the management is to get the newest navision run time and that should allow us to get more user licenses, is that true?

Thanks,
    CouberPu

Hi Couber,

the problem is getting back on Support. Microsoft had an offer going, but its over now I think, though I guess you can try. But the cost of getting back on support probably is just not worth it, better to just buy a new license.

Then also remember that moving even to 2009 Classic, means new SQL server, new Citrix (though you probably could use TS instead), all new clients, it keeps going on. It wont be cheap.
    David Singleton
  • couberpucouberpu Member Posts: 317
    Harry / David,

Thank you for the advise.
    I have not spent a lot of time keep up with Navision. (Instead, I did my best to save my paycheck for the past 3 years).

If I understood both of you correctly, I need to get the newest and greatest navision if I want to continue with navision and to get more user license, yes? Is it the only way?
    Then the 1 million dollar question is 'how much', yes? ](*,)

Couber
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    You can still use version 3.7, but just do the executable upgrade to NAV2009. This way, you will be able to use Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008.

But yes, in order to do this, you have to be current on the enhancement plan. Depending on the number of years you guys lapsed on your enhancement, it may be worthwhile to purchase NAV again instead of back paying the penalty for the enhancement plan.

Your NAV partner should be able to get a price for you for the renewal.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'General Chat' forum to 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!