How to view chinese characters in Navision

nikeman77nikeman77 Member Posts: 517
Hi all,

We are helping to support chinese end user with navision installed, instead of looking at giblish characters, any idea how to view those chinese characters please?
1.in my local navision installed directory(c:\program files\microsoft business solutions): i had copied enu folder, and rename as chs
2.i had set my control panel to be able to view and edit chinese characters in my windows xp os.

but still unable to view it. what could possibly be the issue?

Answers

• FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    Apart from setting the Language for Non-Unicode programs in the Regional Settings of Windows you will need a chinese fin.stx. You can get it from MS. Take a look here for a rather good description and a link to Partnersource:
    http://navinoy.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-enable-and-to-display-double.html
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • nikeman77nikeman77 Member Posts: 517
    hi fdickschat,

thanks for replying, i would like to find out if it has been installed? as some of my seniors have no problem reading (chinese characters) them in their local pc.
    nikeman77 wrote:
    would like to find out if it has been installed? as some of my seniors have no problem reading (chinese characters) them in their local pc
    ??? Just do it :-k

Take a look into the fin.stx to check whether DBCS is enabled or not.
    Check out this doc to see what to look for in the stx:
    http://hosteddocs.ittoolbox.com/mrbrkg011508.pdf

According to a blog entry starting from 2009 SP1 it should not be necessary to use a special DBCS enabled stx file anymore.
    (German Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/german_nav_developer/archive/2009/12/29/warum-gibt-es-im-kb-artikel-915374-keine-fin-stx-datei-f-r-nav-2009-sp-1.aspx)
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
    FDickschat,

Hey, thats another lesson learnt.. thanks a lot, will go and try it out. cheers!
    FDickschat,

-I check the stx files and confirmed that value is 00093-00400-010-2: 1 in ENU folder & client
    -how do I check that my local nav is installed with chinese

still I am unable to view chinese characters.
    Did you read this blog?
    http://navinoy.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-enable-and-to-display-double.html

After you have configured NAV and windows you can enter and view chinese characters in NAV fields. NAV itself (the main menu on top) and the help will still be in English as you have just copied the ENU folder into a CHS folder. To have NAV itself and the help files in chinese you will need to purchase a language pack from Tectura China.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
    Hi FDicksChat,

How or where can i find out if chinese fin.stx is installed?
    If you want to be absolutely sure download the correct one from Partnersource and use it. Otherwise checking the stx for double byte enabled (which you did earlier) should be enough. As it does not seems to work for you I would opt for the download.

If you have the correct chinese stx with DBCS=1 and language for non unicode programs = Chinese simplified and you still cannoot see Chinese characters I can't help. On all installations I have seen it was sufficient to just change these 2 things.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
    hi FDickschat,

i am not very sure whats the file name/ locations of the chinese fin.stx. however you do mention setting language for unicode.

how do i go about seeting language for unicode?
    i did a regional and language settings> add chinese (PRC) with US keyboard, thus was able to input chinese text in my notepad or word document when i change my language bar , not sure if thats the language for unicode settings you mention.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting