Options

Thinking Forward: Windows 8 and NAV 7

JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
edited 2011-09-20 in General Chat
I have to wonder what the Roadmap for NAV will look like with the dramatic changes Windows 8 will be bringing to the table. I can't imagine NAV 7 will be able to utilize much of it, but perhaps a Service Pack or R2 edition will plan nice with Metro? I'm pretty excited about the possibilities, especially with the great Online and Services functionality that is out and coming in the future.

Yes, idle speculation thread - no one can talk about NAV 7 specifics yet if they've seen the Beta.

And yes, I may have drank some video streamed Kool-Aid earlier today, but it really does look good.
JEREMY VYSKA
CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"

Comments

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Wanna bet that in Windows 8 all you have to do is hit a shortcut key (Windows+D maybe?) and you have a regular desktop layout? Metro is just a startpage visualization as far as I can tell, and apps won't change much. For business apps you will always need to have a keyboard, and I doubt that much will change.
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I think the Kinect has a lot more potential to revolutionize the look and feel of ERP packages.
    It will be great for meetings, navigating through massive charts, drill downs, etc.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    With kinect it is like with speech recognition - it sounds good but it is not usable because big percent of mistakes during recognition...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Without Bill at the helm it wont be the same.

It will get there and be something, but it wont be earth shattering.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    Without Bill at the helm it wont be the same.
    We can't say any more "Blame it on Bill". :(

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
    DenSter wrote:
    Wanna bet that in Windows 8 all you have to do is hit a shortcut key (Windows+D maybe?) and you have a regular desktop layout? Metro is just a startpage visualization as far as I can tell, and apps won't change much. For business apps you will always need to have a keyboard, and I doubt that much will change.

Just the Windows/Start key, actually, switches between Desktop and Metro.
    davmac1 wrote:
    I think the Kinect has a lot more potential to revolutionize the look and feel of ERP packages.
    It will be great for meetings, navigating through massive charts, drill downs, etc.

=D> :lol:

You're totally right. I can see a whole different Microsoft technology just crying out to be NAV-ified :mrgreen: :
    JEREMY VYSKA
    CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
    New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    JDVyska wrote:
    You're totally right. I can see a whole different Microsoft technology just crying out to be NAV-ified :mrgreen: :
    I can see someone with too much time on his hands ;-)
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    I see Kinect as more of a viewing technology - not a way to make changes.

Forget about Bill - what about Bob?
    (Bill Murray film)
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    An ERP system should do one thing and one thing only ... reduce the operating costs of the business. If it does that then it is a good product. So that is the question you need to answer.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    I think a good ERP system should also be usable to increase sales by providing relevant information to sales and marketing.
    Most companies are running a variety of systems, and the ability to interface ERP, CRM, BI, etc. are vital for providing an overall environment that helps a company run more efficiently (reduce costs) and recognize opportunities and act on them (increase sales).