NAV permissions

sbolton1855sbolton1855 Member Posts: 39
I am looking for the tool that links up with the NAV Client Monitor that will help me set permissions.. Is there anywhere i can download a trial, or does anyone know where on the CD this prog. is .. I am a NAV Customer not Partner. so i can not utilize the client monitor but i would like to get a peek at this prog that helps users set permissions. My current task is to use SQL profiler to capture the events of users and what tables they touch. then write a prog that will extract the events and help me set roles for each user.

http://dynamicsuser.net/forums/p/45065/228049.aspx

"I wouldn't build a parser from scratch, though if you don't have to. Client Monitor (granted, on the client machine and not the server) does the same thing as Profiler, and NAV has a tool to parse that and create permissions from it. In my experience it only gets you part of the way there, and then it is trial and error, but it's a start. It used to (and may still be) available on the product DVD. I think the folder name was Tools or something. Sorry, it's been a while."

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Should be in the download section, like this one.

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=357

But that's based on code coverage, not client monitor.
  • sbolton1855sbolton1855 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for that link i will definitely check it out and run it on my local install of NAV
    Here is the challenge i am currently facing. When NAV was setup for my company everyone was setup with super user :thumbsdown: so i have been tasked with reviewing every user and creating a role that will best fit their job. The suggestion is that i run the SQL profiler on the user and see what tables they touch... read,insert,modify,delete,execute, and then set a role specific for that user. I am very new to nav (about 4 and a half months now) and i noticed that there are already around 200 roles in our system. I am sure that a combination of these roles would fix our needs but another programmer has already attempted this w/o success (assigning multiple roles for each user). I have been told that the client monitor can be ran on a users machine to see what they do and there is a tool that links up with this and sets the permissions... but this requires granule 2000 a AM license, that is out of scope.
    is there any more suggestions on this topic?
    thanks in advance ](*,)
    The built in roles are not very good to work with.

I would recommend using the tool in the link.

If you are in BRL you should be able to use Code Coverage, even without the tool, it should not be to difficult to setup permissions with the data this tool provides.

Otherwise you can ask your NAV partner to help you run the tool with their license.
    When i Imported the object file there is an error..... per1.00.fob could not be imported because there are already objects in the database with conflicting versions..... Choose OK to open the Import worksheet, or cancel to stop the import..... how can i determine what the conflicts are. I am installing this FIRST on out development database but i dont want to mess anything up.....
    it looks like there is already a table object 50000 in our database. I am thinking i can change the per1.00.txt file table object number to an unused number and rename it to a .fob.. \:D/ guess we'll see
    ----ah
    You dont have permission to run the 'File,Import, Text' system contact system admin.. mmmmmm any ideas
    it looks like all i had to do was read the forum on this object, it explains it all!
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'Dynamics CRM (formerly CRM)' forum to 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

This is getting frustrating. I cant import the .fob because it is using object ranges that i am already using. So i used the .txt file that was included changed all the table/form object ranges to unused numbers.. and then changed the file extension to .fob
    It seemed that i would have been able to import the origonal .fob since it told me that it would override current versions ok/cancel ....
    is there any way to compile the .txt so i can import this

You don't have permission to run the 'file, Import,Text' System
    I imported the fob in to a test DB and then i was going to export the tables and renumber the objects, but it says again you dont have permission to run the 'file , export, text' System GRRRRRR ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Is there any way someone can reupload the fob with table object 50,000 to 50,700 --- and--- 50,001 to 50,701
    Form 50,000 to 50,700 and Report 50,000 to 50,700