Restore Problem

fazlehasanfazlehasan Member Posts: 69
We are using NAV 5.0 SP1, SQL 2005;
According to licence file:
Language: English (US)

I am able to take backup using application side Backup utility.

But I am not able to restore using application side Restore utility -
the accent characters like: , é, œ are making problem.

These characters may have got inserted through file imports.
I found lots of accent characters in the database.

Is NAV is built only to work with ASCII characters
cannot deal with ANSI or Unicode characters?

How can I solve the problem?

If you have any suggestion please share.

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    We used the method of editing the registry as discussed here:
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=43099

our database has data with accented charaters and we have no issues restoring backup.

Don't know if that is the fix but worth a try.

there is also alot of post regardintg Ascii & Asni if you're interested:
    search.php
  • dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    NAV is currently an OEM-based system, in that it internally uses an OEM code page or conversions to/from it. For example, in the UI it converts characters to/from the active ANSI code page and in its backup and object text files it preserves the active OEM code page data when writing the file. (It does not use ASCII which is an older 7-bit character set, but if you are running with code page 437 this is a very close super-set to ASCII).

The OEM and ANSI code page that is active is based on what is now called the System Locale, seen in the Control Panel "Region and Language". If you are running for example ANSI 1252 and OEM 850 code page, which is common for many Western Europe countries, then the accented characters like those you mention will be written to a backup file using the OEM 850 code page. When you then restore that backup on a machine that has a different OEM code page, those characters will most likely look wrong. This is the key downside with using code pages.

NAV cannot currently deal with Unicode because it uses single byte characters sets - either ANSI or OEM. Really the only place that Unicode is applicable is in XML data used for XML ports, but this is just the encoding used for the XML files - NAV cannot import/export Unicode characters here because of the internal restriction it has.

The registry reference I have seen allows the changing of the ANSI or OEM code paqe rather than restarting the machine when changing this in the control panel System Locale drop down. I would not recommend changing it this way, but if it works for you...
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.