does C/ODBC driver work with Windows 2000

nishant4unishant4u Member Posts: 3
edited 2001-06-13 in Navision Financials
I am using Windows 2000 as my OS, this is what i am trying to do. I have a web based application running on IIS and uses ASP(active server pages), i want to dump data from the web pages into the navision database which is another application all together. it looked simple when i went through the documentation for C/ODBC. I created a system DSN for the navision database, tried both ways local as well as server options. but all the time i am getting the error saying that dsn not found or no odbc driver found and now it just hangs the whole IIS server. plz help me

Comments

• mctestermctester Member Posts: 6
    I do not believe your problem is with Windows 2000 - rather I believe it's with the ASP working with C/ODBC. What version are you working with? I ask because I believe this was corrected with the latest version of C/ODBC for 2.60

Michael
  • Jim_HollcraftJim_Hollcraft Member Posts: 7
    We have been unable to use C/ODBC reliably with ASP code and IIS. The driver does not appear to function properly in this environment. You can set it up so that it works sometimes, but mysterious crashes happen frequently.
    Jim Hollcraft
    aka Skater
    drilldot.com
    Unauthorized Navision News
  • nishant4unishant4u Member Posts: 3
    currently i am using C/ODBC version 2.11.A where can i get the C/ODBC driver version 2.6? also can u tell me if it is stable or not because i have read that it is unstable. so is it preferable to use C/ODBC with ASP/IIS? thanks in advance
  • mfabianmfabian Member Posts: 187
    Whenever possible I would recommend to avoid ODBC: It's unstable and slow. As with IIS and w2k you have a very modern environment, you might consider the following two alternatives:

1) Use SQL Server as Navision DB. Then you can directly retrieve the data IIS needs.
    2) Use 2.60D resp. 3.0 and use the NAS (Navision Application Server) to retrieve data on demand: The ASP script sends an request in XML via Message queue and Navision sends the result as html report or also as XML. I tried that already: it's working very reliable, fast and quite easy to implement.

With best regards from Switzerland

Marcus Fabian
    With best regards from Switzerland

Marcus Fabian