Options

Navision 2.0 to 4.0

WarfoxWarfox Member Posts: 53
Hy guys,

i got a very big project. I have to upgrade a 2.0 to a 4.0 Navision without a NSC Licence :shock: can u give me some tips or maybe some tools to get this working?

Comments

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    You are right: it is a very big job!

For any upgrade, I use Araxis Merge: it's a three-way compare and merge tool which is great to use on Navision Text Files.

You could use the upgrade toolkit as well, but I haven't got good experiences with it (kind of buggy...).

To do it without an NSC license: seems to be rather impossible since you can't modify default objects.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    Thats right 8-[ but i will get that, where can i download this tool?
  • Options

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Christian_BuehlChristian_Buehl Member Posts: 145
    I've done an update from 2.01 to 3.70A.
    After all, I found out, that doing that absolutely by yourself is impossible as you are not allowed to do necessary steps.

In first you need a Solution Centre License for the old and new Navision to modify the appropriate objects. You need this license, even when the standard update procedure can run, but Microsoft adviced the NSC's strictly not to give their license to customers.

Usually you have done some modifications on your system. You need to repeat and adapt all modifications in the new system. NSC's can use some tools, that are not available for customers. If you do this by yourself, it is really a lot of work.

Sorry - when you are no NSC, the only way is to pay.
    I had a lot of of discussions with our NSC, but finally we found an agreement that reduced my work a lot, and gave the NSC opportunity to earn a resonable part for their work.
  • Options
    No pay no gain :lol:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Maybe guys, but if i leave the system in standart and only adapt my own mods, it will work, but how to get the data from the 2.0 to 4.0???
  • Options
    If the standard objects remain standard, then you can follow the description in the enbeupgr.pdf documents on the CD.

Keep in mind, you have to do it step by step:
    2.00 -> 2.01
    2.01 -> 2.60
    2.60 -> 3.01

Sometimes in the description of that pdf you can skip a few steps. Depends on the version, and where you want to work to ... .

To upgrade to the 4.00, I don't find a pdf, so I don't know where the description is ... . It's a shame, because this description would have shown how many versions back it supports.

I can understand that this explenation is not something you're looking for, but just try to find the xxxxupgr.pdf in the CD:\Upgtk\Doc folder of the CD, and it'll explain itself (I hope).

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    bostjanlbostjanl Member Posts: 107
    Waldo wrote:
    Keep in mind, you have to do it step by step:
    2.00 -> 2.01
    2.01 -> 2.60
    2.60 -> 3.01

Not exactly,.. There are just separate steps. You DON'T get 2.01 or 2.60 or ... version of database. It is one long process.

Bostjanl
  • Options
    That's what I mean ...

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    bostjanlbostjanl Member Posts: 107
    Waldo wrote:
    That's what I mean ...

:D