Modifying Navision Help files

msraetsenmsraetsen Member Posts: 8
edited 2001-06-12 in Navision Financials
As we modify/add functionality in Navision, we would like to be able to update the help files. However, not really knowing much about help files, I am not sure if I am able to do this. Because we only get the compiled help files, I can't quite figure out how to do this. Is there anyway to get the "source" (although that probably depends on what program you used to build it).

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark.

Comments

• John_TegelaarJohn_Tegelaar Member Posts: 159
    No, you can't change the Help files as supplied with Navision. You would have to decompile these, and that's not the route to succes (been there, done that, and didn't win the T-shirt).

But there's an alternative. The program Help Scribble is an excellent Help Authoring Tool, at a very low price. And what's even better, we did persuade the authors (in 1999 - time flies) to make an extension to program that is generating the extra files in exactly the format you need for the Navision Help system. Help Scribble and the extension HelpScrNavision are available for download at www.jgsoft.com and if you drop me a mail, I will send you the "How to do that" document for creating you personal helpfiles.

John
  • mfabianmfabian Member Posts: 187
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
    As we modify/add functionality in Navision, we would like to be able to update the help files.

You cannot modify the existing helpfiles. However Navision offers a help-tool which allows you to create additional helpfiles in Navision style which seemlessly integrate in the Navision help system. So the user will not notice a difference.

Help-Compiler as well as sample templates are supplied.

With best regards from Switzerland

Marcus Fabian
    With best regards from Switzerland

Marcus Fabian
  • BHTBHT Member Posts: 56
    Hi fabian,
    I like to know more to the help tool for creating additional helpfiles in Navision. Does navision provide this tool for free or do I have to spend more money for that? And where can I get this tool?
    Tks.
    BHT
    Regards,
    BHT
  • mctestermctester Member Posts: 6
    In the US all you have to do is request the Help Tool from your NTR. I believe creating help files will be lots easier when working with 3.0.

Michael