NAV 2009 R2 - Change the background color of all pages

SYLV1GSYLV1G Member Posts: 93
edited 2014-05-16 in NAV Three Tier
Hello,

I would like to know if there is a way to change the background color of all the pages because some customers don't like the default color (white) ?

Thanks is advance for your answer

SG

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I think no, you cannot change that. You can try to use different color schema for windows, but I think that this is hardcoded...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Ravi_ThakkarRavi_Thakkar Member Posts: 392
    One way to do that is, change the Color Scheme of Windows Display Properties to Blue/Olive Green/Silver etc. (Windows XP).
    Ravi_Thakkar
    Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
    E Mail : ravi.thakkar@hotmail.com
  • FranklinFranklin Member Posts: 253
    This is a question that a lot of customers have told me since nav2009. It would be very usefull when you have open two companys, for example. In RTC is more dificult to wrong but in Classic is too easy and the solution of the background color would be great!!!
    In R2 you have the Indicator for that...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • FranklinFranklin Member Posts: 253
    Yep kine but the background color, in my opinion, is more useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • rkucharrkuchar Member Posts: 33
    One way to do that is, change the Color Scheme of Windows Display Properties to Blue/Olive Green/Silver etc. (Windows XP).

Did anyone have success in changing this using windows settings?

I tried changing the background color for the active window within Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Window Color and Appearance but it seems to have left NAV 2009 unaffected. The only background it changed was the search box at eh top right corner.

We have a client who is finding the bright white background colors too hard on the eyes....
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    rkuchar wrote:
    We have a client who is finding the bright white background colors too hard on the eyes....
    Provide some sun glasses ;-)
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Or adjust the monitors Contrast & Brightness
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    rkuchar wrote:

Actually this is good advice. People that have problems looking at a screen, especially if they get eye strain, should see an optometrist. Often it is a color sensitivity and you can get glasses generally green or orange sometimes blue or yellow that can make working on a computer much easier. Technically they aren't sun glasses, but they do the same thing.
    David Singleton
  • rkucharrkuchar Member Posts: 33
    rkuchar wrote:

Actually this is good advice. People that have problems looking at a screen, especially if they get eye strain, should see an optometrist. Often it is a color sensitivity and you can get glasses generally green or orange sometimes blue or yellow that can make working on a computer much easier. Technically they aren't sun glasses, but they do the same thing.

Now come on guys, you know these are not answers I can give the client :D
  • julkifli33julkifli33 Member Posts: 1,085
    you can set system indicator in Company Information pages
    this is the best NAV can do... for the moment
    I think the problem is deeper than NAV background. What about Word white page? Will you change that? What about other applications? I think good monitor tuning and other healty tips when working with computer are basic things to follow. Changing background in one app will not solve the general problem.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    I asked MS (on connect) to provide the possibility to change the color scheme of nav, because in certain environments, the blue higlight is really dark, and you cannot see the text in some lists. Example parameters:
    - list page
    - field not editable
    - field has a lookup page (is clickable to activate lookup/drilldown)
    - focus is set on that field
    in this case the text is black and the color is daaaark blue...really weird...
    MS told they will take in consideration this modification for future releases and i hope so
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    rkuchar wrote:

Yes you can. If a "requirement" cannot be fullfilled by restriction of the program, then you can at least offer alternatives.
    And showing concernt of your clients health is also a way of show your commitment en taking every issue your client may have serious. By suggesting an alternative, that will not only improve the experience with NAV, but with the computer overall, is a very good suggestion.
    But the answer "No, this is not possible + reason why" is as valid and sometimes really useful answer.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Sog wrote:
    rkuchar wrote:

Yes you can. If a "requirement" cannot be fullfilled by restriction of the program, then you can at least offer alternatives.
    And showing concernt of your clients health is also a way of show your commitment en taking every issue your client may have serious. By suggesting an alternative, that will not only improve the experience with NAV, but with the computer overall, is a very good suggestion.
    But the answer "No, this is not possible + reason why" is as valid and sometimes really useful answer.

Sog is 100% right. =D>

And this scares me. Remember the days of "Solution Centers" where the company's task was to provide you with the best solution to an issue. Nowadays its "Partner" and that seems to mean Box mover/Programmer.

There is a lot more to providing a solution to your client than selling boxes and writing code.

Mr Kuchar, take a look at my blog about this:

The most powerful tool that a Dynamics NAV consultant can use.
    David Singleton
  • RChurchillRChurchill Member Posts: 55
    Belias quoted the following:
    Belias wrote:
    I asked MS (on connect) to provide the possibility to change the color scheme of nav, because in certain environments, the blue higlight is really dark, and you cannot see the text in some lists. Example parameters:
    - list page
    - field not editable
    - field has a lookup page (is clickable to activate lookup/drilldown)
    - focus is set on that field
    in this case the text is black and the color is daaaark blue...really weird...
    MS told they will take in consideration this modification for future releases and i hope so

Which "certain environments" causes the highlighting in blue of non-editable fields?

We have some NAV 2009 R2 clients displaying the highlighting and some don't. We have tried loads of things and cannot get rid of the highlights. Can anybody explain why they differ? All pcs are windows 7 and the Dynamics client is CLASSIC.

Many thanks.

Robin Churchill
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    I was talking about RTC on citrix, sorry
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    RChurchill wrote:
    Which "certain environments" causes the highlighting in blue of non-editable fields?
    I remember this one, which was fixed in build 33154. See https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/Global/NAV/downloads/hot-fixes/NAV2009SP1PlatformHotfixOverview

"You cannot distinguish un-editable fields from editable fields in Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 if the Aero screen resolution is enabled"

KB 2671213: https://mbs2.microsoft.com/Knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb%3bEN-US%3b2671213

Don't know if this is what you mean with "highlighting in blue".
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    The most powerful tool that a Dynamics NAV consultant can use.[/url]

How old are you David? When I was like 26 I really hated when folks said stuff like that - look in the eyes of a 60 years old business manager who basically sees me as a child, and say no. I just had no authority for that. Now at 36 it is getting better as I am getting more respect and have more confidence and radiate more authority. But I don't think I am quite there, more like at 40+.

This is really a psychology thing. When I was younger people didn't take me seriously and basically this means for example that everybody loves to do some software design even when they can't so it was like "put a big red button ever there... bigger..." 10 years later I am more able to give a "seriously? don't waste my time, it is not free" look on my face that nips it really in the bud, but I still feel I am not quite there.
  • KowaKowa Member Posts: 923
    Since I suffer from the effects of retinal detachment I would welcome a possibilty to infuse the bright white with a slight greyish tint as well. Only the Development Environment reacts to the OS settings for the window background, the pages don't.
    Kai Kowalewski