Options

NAV Service shuts down

pvarpvar Member Posts: 157
edited 2011-07-19 in NAV Three Tier
I am experiencing a strange issue in our 3 machine 3 tier test env. Every time when I try to add/delete a user the nav service shuts down because it cannot access the database. Upon investigation I found out that it's because the nav service account gets removed from the database automatically. So I had to add it again and then everything fine.

Has anyone experienced this problem and if yes, is there is any resolution? Or I am missing something or things setup incorrectly?

This is a 2009 sp1 virtual env with the client, server & sql are in 3 different machines. nav service & sql are running under a domain account. Thanks

Answers

• Options
    raveendran.sraveendran.s Member Posts: 119
    Check in the event log, may get something why the service is getting stopped...
    --
    Regards,
    Raveendran.BS
  • Options
    This is what I see in the event log on the server

User: CEI-AD\pvarghese
    Type: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException
    Class: 14
    LineNumber: 1
    Number: 916
    Server: navsql.ceidev.local
    State: 1
    Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider
    ErrorCode: -2146232060
    Message: The server principal "CEI-DEVAD\NAVSVCACCT" is not able to access the database "CEI" under the current security context.
    StackTrace:
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader()
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavDatabaseChangeListener.TryExecuteReader()
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavDatabaseChangeListener.CollectTrackingObjects()
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavDatabaseChangeListener.TimerHandler(Object param)
  • Options
    raveendran.sraveendran.s Member Posts: 119
    pvar wrote:
    This is what I see in the event log on the server

User: CEI-AD\pvarghese
    Type: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException
    Class: 14
    LineNumber: 1
    Number: 916
    Server: navsql.ceidev.local
    State: 1
    Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider
    ErrorCode: -2146232060
    Message: The server principal "CEI-DEVAD\NAVSVCACCT" is not able to access the database "CEI" under the current security context.

Here the message says that the server is not able to access the database. please check this part. Also ensure that your domain is properly configured and it is a FQDN.
    --
    Regards,
    Raveendran.BS
  • Options
    Sorry to get back late. Some one told me I need to have TCP port sharing enabled and that didn't help either. It's not the problem of accessing the database because the server is not FQDN, the service account gets deleted from the database whenever I make a user change. All the config files have FQDN of the servers. Anything else need to be configured when the 3 tiers are in 3 physical machines?
  • Options
    julkifli33julkifli33 Member Posts: 1,073
    i also have the same problem...
    after i add user for RTC, and then the service is stopped
    and then i must start it again...
    any body know what is incorrect about my installation?
  • Options
    rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    pvar wrote:
    Every time when I try to add/delete a user the nav service shuts down because it cannot access the database. Upon investigation I found out that it's because the nav service account gets removed from the database automatically.

How do you add/delete the users?
  • Options
    Through NAV, Tools - Security - Windows login
  • Options
    The issue has been resolved. You will have to make sure that the service account is added as a user in NAV under Tools - Security - Windows Logins