Options

NAV 2009 R2 - screen freezes for several seconds - system ha

JaanaJaana Member Posts: 28
edited 2011-07-22 in NAV Three Tier
Hi all,

I know this is a quite generic question but we tried everything and I am looking for any sort of tip you might have to solve this.

We are running a 3 tier installation on a clients side for NAV 2009 R2 (SQL - NAV Services - RTC on Terminal Server - users log in to Terminal server via internet connection). The RTC screen freezes - and things seem to get worse every day. the system hangs for times between 1 and up to 15-20 seconds. Uers are getting frustrated and we checked basically everything
- internet connection is OK and never maxed
- NAV service sometimes runs with 100% CPU but not linked to the system hanging
- Memory / CPU / HDD I/O is OK on all 3 Machines
- SQL maintenance tasks are all set up as recommended (Index and Statistic Updates run successfully)
- other applications seem to be OK
- We tried disabling Firewalls and Virus scan on all 3 Machines but it's still the same

Did anyone experience similar issues? What else did you check?

Any advice is welcome!

Cheers
Jaana

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Check for SQL Locks. What do you mean with "HDD I/O is OK"? What did you checked?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    roytseroytse Member Posts: 8
    some steps to identify the problem scope :
    1. Try to login the terminal locally first then run the RTC client, if the RTC client running quite smooth locally, the problem shall be in the terminal session.
    2. Try to remote access the terminal service within the same Ethernet.
    3. Try to establish another new standard NAV Server service associate to a standard NAV database without any customization, and then remote access to it via terminal service over WAN.
    4. reboot everything and try again.

Due to lack of information/hints about your case, I think you have to identify the problem whether is program crash or networking first.
  • Options
    Thanks for your tipps so far. We'll try some of these I think.

Just to clarify - the system hangs with a frozen screen for a while but then starts working again. There are no system crashes. it just stops working for a while. We are currently running a SQL profiler analysis - this should help to identify any locks.

Cheers!
  • Options
    It seems as if we are down to Terminal Server peaking up CPU and therefore freezing the entire server. Other applications hang at the same time.

Does anyone know about issues for NAV 2009 R2 on Terminal Server systems?