Adjust Cost - "randomly occurring" error

bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
We are having a random failure of Adjust Cost. I'm putting out this inquiry to see if anyone has run into this or has advice on tracking down a solution. The process will fail with an error like this:
Qty. to Handle (Base) in Tracking Specification for Item No. ABCD, Serial No.: , Lot No.: 1234 is currently -81. It must be 60.

The item/lot will vary but the basic message is the same.

The item is always a manufactured item.

Run Adjust Cost again and it will work just fine. Error is occurring very randomly. It has occurred 5 times in the past 35 days. First two were 2 days apart. The third was 6 days later. The fourth was 13 days after that. And the last was 14 days after that.

Needless to say, I've had no luck in trapping this with debug. Besides debug adds to the processng time which creates other issues with scheduling.

It is not uncommion to have some inventory activity occuring while Adjust Cost is running. I believe that is the heart of the problem. As this never seems to occur when Adjust Cost is run during downtime. My thought is this is happening someplace during the "prod order" cost updating. I'm usully able to find an outbound transaction that matches the negative qty. in the message. But usually don't find and inbound one that matches the positive qty.

Adjust Cost is run daily as a scheduled process under Job Queue.

The system is a NAV 5.0 SP1 database using NAV 2009 SP1 clients (Build 30609) on SQL 2008 (4279)

Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated.
There are no bugs - only undocumented features.

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I don't know how other people would be able to post when adjust cost is run. Adjust cost locks a series of tables so users wouldn't be able to make any transactions. I always suggest customer to run adjust cost in offline.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    They are not posting, but may be doing things like entering sales or transfer orders for lot tracked items. Some nights Adjust Cost runs with no other activity. But due to growth in the client's business that's not always possible.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • katie_at_creativekatie_at_creative Member Posts: 42
    did we find out any resolution to this?
    many thanks,
    katie
  • rmv_RUrmv_RU Member Posts: 119
    At first, try to lock Tracking Specification table before running main adjustment routine.
    Looking for part-time work.
    Nav, T-SQL.