Error that blocks all

josep_jordijosep_jordi Member Posts: 9
Hi,

I'm working with NAV 4.0 SP3 and SQL 2005.

Sometimes when we post a consumption we receive an error (whatever the reason, lack of stock, etc).

The big problem is that until the user does not click accept, all other users can not post consumptions, appears the message "is blocked by another user", but really is not blocked, just that the user has left the error in screen and has not accepted.

I looked in the Partner Source to see if there is a HotFix but can not find anything to solve this.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• MBergerMBerger Member Posts: 413
    This is normal, the posting routines locks some of the tables, and those locks don't get freed until the routine finishes, correctly or after an error and the rollback only occurs AFTER the user clicks the error. There is no hotfix for this....it is as designed
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    talking about your pebkac.
    User training should solve this problem.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    This is a bug in some older versions of NAV 4 (and NAV 3.7). They fixed it in NAV 3.7 but reintroduced the bug in NAV 4. It was fixed however in newer builds of NAV 4.

Which NAV Build of 4.03 are you using? I have good experience with Build 29821 for NAV 4 which does not show this effect and also fixes lots of performance problems of older builds.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • josep_jordijosep_jordi Member Posts: 9
    FDickschat wrote:
    This is a bug in some older versions of NAV 4 (and NAV 3.7). They fixed it in NAV 3.7 but reintroduced the bug in NAV 4. It was fixed however in newer builds of NAV 4.

Which NAV Build of 4.03 are you using? I have good experience with Build 29821 for NAV 4 which does not show this effect and also fixes lots of performance problems of older builds.

Ok, my Build is the first NAV 4.0 SP3, I have downloaded the 29821 Build and I'll install it.

Already works fine!!!

Thanks a lot
    MBerger wrote:
    This is normal, the posting routines locks some of the tables, and those locks don't get freed until the routine finishes, correctly or after an error and the rollback only occurs AFTER the user clicks the error. There is no hotfix for this....it is as designed
    No, no and no again! By design this MUST NOT happen!

At the time an error is thrown the transaction is rolled back and all locks must be released. If the blocks stay you have one of the NAV builds with a bug!
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
    FDickschat wrote:
    MBerger wrote:
    No, no and no again! By design this MUST NOT happen!

At the time an error is thrown the transaction is rolled back and all locks must be released. If the blocks stay you have one of the NAV builds with a bug!
    but the lokcs ARE released....after the code gets out of the MODAL error message....
    The error message seems to be modal to the user but the rollback of the transaction has already started before the error is even displayed on screen.

1. Error is encountered
    2. Server starts the rollback of the transaction and locks are released
    3. NAV Client displays Error Message

As I already said there are builds existing which do a 1, 3, 2 order. MS support confirmed that this is a bug.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
    FDickschat wrote:
    The error message seems to be modal to the user but the rollback of the transaction has already started before the error is even displayed on screen.

1. Error is encountered
    2. Server starts the rollback of the transaction and locks are released
    3. NAV Client displays Error Message

As I already said there are builds existing which do a 1, 3, 2 order. MS support confirmed that this is a bug.
    ok, i stand corrected. Thanks for this info.....a day where you learn something is a good day