NAS Automatic Restart

jelittlejohnjelittlejohn Member Posts: 61
Hi,

I searched the forum on this topic and found one thread but it did not solve my problem. I am hoping that if I bring this topic back up and provide a few extra details, someone can help me. My client is running NAV SQL client and I have NAS running on the same server with the SQL data. Every 30 minutes, NAS goes out and pulls in some data from an independent database and writes that data to a few fields in the Purchase Header and Purchase Line tables. Also, each evening, between 8:00 and 8:30, NAS runs a couple of reports, creates pdf files of these reports using the Bullzip pdf creator and then emails these pdf files to a few people using the smtp codeunit. All of this works great. However, whenever the server is rebooted, NAS does not restart properly. We have had a few hard shutdowns due to some weather related power problems and we have had some scheduled server reboots, but the result are the same. NAS appears to be started but it does not execute any of its tasks. NAS is logging on as the server administrator and is set to retry every 30 seconds on an error. I have looked at the event log. On the reboot, I see an error, generally "Database not valid" or something with connectivity issues, that always suggests that the NAS service is trying to start before the SQL service has completely started. 30 seconds later, NAS does retry and it appears to start properly. However, it will not perform it's tasks correctly until a manual restart of the service is done.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel that if I could delay the start of the NAS service until all other services are started, it would work but I don't know how to make that happen.

Thanks in advance!
Jack Littlejohn
Clemson, SC

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel that if I could delay the start of the NAS service until all other services are started, it would work but I don't know how to make that happen.
    I found some info how to set dependencies on Windows Services, but haven't used it in practice: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193888 .

Please let us know if it works, as this might be useful someday.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)