Options

Database conversion log file issue with SQL 2005

slowhandfanslowhandfan Member Posts: 56
edited 2011-06-19 in SQL General
I have a customer running Nav 4.03 BL=23305 on SQL 2005. I need to upgrade them to 4.03 BL=25143 so their Windows 7 work stations can run fat client. It is a 57 gig navision database.

The SQL log file cannot be set to unrestricted growth. They have plenty of disk space, but I cannot change the log file max size beyone 2 gig (2,097,152) for love or money. If I change it, it just changes it back to this max size.

When you try to open the database with the upgraded client, he tells you he must convert the database(we expected that), and it fails part way through item ledger entry because the log file is full.

I have read the other threads, surfed the internet, logging is set to simple,etc etc....

Is there anyway to make SQL2005 accept a larger log file(ldf). We have 160 gigs to dedicate to it, but SQL 2005 will not accept anything larger than 2 gig.

Is there a fix that can be applied to SQL 2005, or a servioce pack maybe? Does anyone know a way out of this?

Are there any SQL 2005 options or is change to enterpise edition to 2008 the only way out?

Thanks in advance for you help........ 911

Scott (aka Slowhandfan)

Comments

• Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Not sure where your issue is, but SQL 2005 is not limited to a 2 GB log file size. Have you tried increasign the file from SQL Management Studio? Or T-SQL?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
  • Options
    pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    Could the log-file be placed on a FAT32 partition? It has a 4gb filesize limit, but I don't know if it is related...
    Regards
    Peter