Collation (Denmark, Germany, Poland, Holland, Russia...)

polmannpolmann Member Posts: 18
Hi everybody,
I have searched the forum to find a answer to my problem but I have not been successful yet.
Here goes. The overall problem is that we after implementing Czech Republic have encountered a problem with some of their special chars – as an example á.

We are running a setup as follows:
* One common database
* 4 terminal servers with different languages
* SQL Database (SQL 2008 R2)
* NAV 5.0 SP1
* Collation Type: Windows Collation
* Collation: Belarusian, Bulgarian, Russian, Serbian (Cyrillic)
* Validate Code Page is off

I'm quite sure that it is a problem with the collation on the server/database, because the server has no problem in handling the special chars in word.

At the moment we need to support the following languages and special chars:
* Denmark
* Sweden
* Holland
* Germany
* United Kingdom
* Poland
* Czech Republic
* Slovakia
* Russia

Can anyone recommend a collation type that will allow handling of the languages above?

Best regards
Polmann

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The collation of the DB must be Czech or some Latin2 (CP850) one. The terminal server must be set to "Czech" language for Non-unicode applications. if you have disabled the codepage check, than connecting from windows with different language set could lead to this problems with local characters. If you need help with implementing Czech database and functionality, do not hesitate and contact me.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • polmannpolmann Member Posts: 18
    Hi kine,

Thansk for your post. Will this collation support all of the mentioned languages and chars?
    Of course not. You cannot combine these languages in one database. Czech, Slovak and Poland could be in one (Latin2 codepages). Russia must be separate (azbuka). Denmark, Sweden, Holland, Germany, UK I think are Latin1 thus could be in one database.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    At the moment we can actually handle everything i one database except for the two Cz special chars
    Try to enter those characters (think that you will have problem with more chars than you think):

Š Ť Ž š ť ž Č Ě Ď Ň Ř Ů č ě ď ň ř ů
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Even then, the characters will not be correctly sorted according czech alphabet...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    No we are aware that the sorting will not be correct.
    Thanks for your input :) - although i had hoped that there would be a collation that could support all signes.
    Because NAV is non-unicode, than there is no such collation. The problem is not in the collation itself, it is in the NAV client...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    I'm not sure that i quite understand. As far as i know the clients are the same?
  • DoomhammerDoomhammer Member Posts: 211
    I'll add my question here. it is about czech and russian data in one database.
    as I understood, there is not possibility to store czech and russian data in one database.

my question: I have SQL server 2008 R2 on Windows 2008 R2, non unicode language is CZECH.
    I want to set up 2 databases - one for czech company, one for russian company.
    which collation should I set for database which will hold russian data? I think, it should be some "cyrillic", but I need to know it exactly. When I restored backup, which holds czech and russian data, to DB with czech windows collation, russian data were damaged.

Please, help. thanks in advance.
    Martin Bokůvka, AxiomProvis