Segment error when working with a thin client

NokioNokio Member Posts: 52
Hi,
Is this problem already known?
When I'm working on a thin client an try to open the Attaachment, f.e. in the segment card I get the error message "Unknown Automation Server.WordHandler".
It's the same error message as when NAV was not installes but copied on the client. But as NAV 4.0 SP3 as Word were installed properly on the system. The cause for this error message is the codeunit 5054 / function DocImported. The error comes when the function want to create the wrdHandler (CREATE(wrdHandler)).
On a normal pc, no a thin client the segment functionality works as it should. So what could be the reason for this an how could I solve it?

Thanks for any suggestions?

Regards
Nokio

Comments

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    First of all what do you mean by "thin" client? The error message means that a .dll library is missing or not installed properly. Since you are using a "thin" client I would guess that there is a special version of MS Word installed which does not include the required .dll.
  • NokioNokio Member Posts: 52
    Hi,
    with thin client I mean: a low-end computer terminal which concentrates solely on providing a graphical user interface to the end-user. The remaining functionality, in particular the operating system, is provided by the server. So the thin client connects via remote to the terminal server, where nav and word is installed.

But NAV and Word are installed properly on the server. When I open the Program and Functionality window I see both programms installed. So that's what I don't understand, as it should work normally. I could try to register the .dll manually. Do you know the proper name of the .dll?
    So we are talking about a terminal environment. How does the client connect to the server (Citrix, MS RDP,...)? Which Win OS is on the server? Which version of MS Office?
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It looks like the objects are done for some Office version and you have another version... but without more info hard to say...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    I noticed that it could be a problem of the server himself not of the thin client. The segment functionality doen's work either directly on the server. I get the same error message. The server is MS Windows 2008 R2 Standard SP1 Server. NAV Version is 4.0 SP3. Could the problem be, that 4.0 SP3 is not supported anymore for Windows Server 2008 R2 and the segment functionality just doesn't work with 2008 R2 Server? MS Office 2007 Standard Edition is installed.
    Hi,
    any ideas?
    The first rule for a stress free NAV usage is: Keep the hardware and system software as simple as possible. Don't experiment with fancy server versions, virtualizations and terminal access.

http://blogs.msdn.com/german_nav_developer/archive/2010/03/05/zusammenfassung-der-betriebssysteme-die-von-microsoft-dynamics-nav-unterst-tzt-werden.aspx