Options

Upgrading from 3.70b to Nav 2009

bksrbksr Member Posts: 4
edited 2011-06-18 in NAV Three Tier
Hello All,

New to Nav dev, working on this upgrade, please advise best option and any tricks and pitfalls to avoid. read quite a lot of the documentation however very confusing.

Many thanks indeed for taking your time to read and assistance
BKSR

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I think that upgrade is not for someone new in the NAV dev. I highly recommend to do it under supervision of someone with enough experience. The know-how cannot be passed only by writing some post in forum...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your advise Kamil

BKSR
  • Options
    mihail_kolevmihail_kolev Member Posts: 379
    this is not work for somebody new, this is not work for single person.

About such upgrade everything depends, but main things (for me) are
    -modified objects that must be converted
    -custom objects that must be converted
    -changes between current and new base versions
    -data that must be converted
    -size of database
    and many others...
    -Mihail- [MCTS]
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    this is not work for somebody new,

I agree with this statement 100%.

this is not work for single person.

Not sure if I can agree with this statement. I do upgrades by myself all the time.
  • Options
    mihail_kolevmihail_kolev Member Posts: 379
    Not sure if I can agree with this statement. I do upgrades by myself all the time.

after 3-4 years maybe I will say the same :D but I guess Alex have more than 10 years exp in NAV.
    -Mihail- [MCTS]
  • Options
    RainerRainer Member Posts: 103
    It depens on how many modifications if it is easy to upgrade. And again, what is it for modifications. Its not difficult to upgrade from Attain 3.70, there are usefull upgrade toolkit to most of the tasks. But I guess you have to upgrade from 3.70 to 4.00 first, then from 4.00 to 5.00 and then 2009.

Eventually send 3.70 objects listed in Excel Sheet to me, then I can give you a estimate in hours and see if you can do it.
    Kind Regards

E-mail: info@rainerbay.dk
  • Options
    Many thanks indeed to everyone for their advise.

Sincerely appreciated.
    bksr
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Upgrade from 2.x to 3.x was a major pain in the butt because of the introduction of Value Entry table.

From 3.x to 6.x is a pain too since there's no direct upgrade path.
  • Options
    PureHeartPureHeart Member Posts: 190
    I've recently done it by myself, and agree it's not something for beginners specially if the database is highly customized...
    But there are some documents in partnersource that explain really well on how to do the upgrade...
    I've used the Developer's Toolkit and all in all it did a great job!
    So I'd start first in reading/understanding all the documents from Microsoft you can find...
    Why don't you try my compare tool?
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1123
  • Options
    RainerRainer Member Posts: 103
    It is absolutely NOT correct that it is a pain to upgrade Navision. Navision is one of few applications where its from the very first version actually is possible to transfer data all way thrue the system and up to the latest version. Ofcaurse it takes time and depens of modifications but over all it is mostly easy. Ofcaurse it is more easy if you know all versions basic.
    Kind Regards

E-mail: info@rainerbay.dk