Options

Record locking using native database

jnyeholtjnyeholt Member Posts: 6
We are new to Navision, using version 3.7. One problem we have occurs very often, and that is people getting locked out of screens. It says at the bottom who has the record locked.

Has anybody experienced this, and how did you handle it?

Thanks,

Jim Nyeholt
Stenograph LLC

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1. If you are using Native DB, there is no Recordlocking, but only table locking
    2. To have less locking you must make all for speed of the transactions - no confirms after insert or modify in one transaction, using right keys when filtering records, make the database as fast as possible (divide it into more files on more physical disks without RAID 5, have enough RAM on all PC, set cache on database server etc.)
    3. In some cases it is good to disable some things which are not used. For example when you are not using the comments on documents, you can rem the section which are locking this table and making the semaphore from it... etc.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    eromeineromein Member Posts: 589
    It could be very usefull to delay posting actions.

Try to find a way to post documents in batch ones or twice a day. During lunch or maybe at night. You could use the NAS for that.

This should help cut your table locking quite a lot.

If customisations are creating these table locking problems, you should check your code. Try to find a way to ut back the time your code is locking tables.

Don't run batches (reports) that do a lot of record mutations when other people are working.

Search the forum, there should be tons of stuff about this problem.
    "Real programmers don't comment their code.
    If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand."
  • Options
    jnyeholtjnyeholt Member Posts: 6
    and thanks for the correction in terminology - I did mean table locking, not record locking.

I will look into the the suggestions.

Jim