Setup and use of Master Templates

kahalakahala Member Posts: 40
Hi,
Want to use the "Setup Master Templates" functionality under Administration => Application Setup => General.
I understand the functionality up until a certain point. However there are a few things which I'm not sure about.
When you choose a "Field Name" you have the opportunity to do a look up but in the column "Default value" there isn't a lookup - correct? Or am I doing anything wrong because it seems really strange to me... :-k

And the column "Mandatory" - does anybody know what a check mark in here does? What I thought was that when place a check mark here, you would not be allowed to create a customer without filling out this field with a value. But no matter if this field is checked or not you can create your customer, item etc. Does this column have a function? I've tried the help but no help on this area in Navision. :cry:

I've added an attachment with an example of a customer template where the idea is that the Gen. Bus. Posting. is set to a default value when choosing this template and the user will be prompted to fill out VAT Bus. Posting. Group because a check mark is placed in Mandatory. Not the best example but hope you get the idea.

In short: what does "Mandatory" do? ](*,)

Comments

• chengalasettyvsraochengalasettyvsrao Member Posts: 711
    Fields Like Gen.Business posting group and Customer Posting group are mandatory fields in the Customer Master to do any transactions . so when you select the fields in the template place a check mark in Mandatory field means those fields are mandatory to post the any transactions. But even without fill the data in the template ,you can apply for new customer.

That mandatory field is just a informative field for users to know that the values in these fields are mandatory.
  • kahalakahala Member Posts: 40
    Ok I'll try again... I wrote that my example wasn't exactly the best so don't put energy in the actual example. I know that you need the posting groups etc. to be able to post anything. That's not the issue here!
    My issue is that you can pick any field from the customer table - also fields which have none what-so-ever impact on the posting routine. Eg. I also tried to fill out Search Name and Name as Mandatory on the Template but nothing happened when applying the template. And I could post a sales order without any problems.

I was expecting some sort of warning or lock when using a template with Mandatory fields which are not filled out. But maybe I don't understand this functionality correctly?
  • mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,504
    What I understood is :

What ever we give in Default field will be copied to the new record which we create from Setup master Termplate Functions-->Create Instance
    Or when we apply from Customer/Item Functions-->Apply Template
  • chengalasettyvsraochengalasettyvsrao Member Posts: 711
    kahala wrote:
    I was expecting some sort of warning or lock when using a template with Mandatory fields which are not filled out. But maybe I don't understand this functionality correctly?

That mandatory field is just a informative field for users to know that the values in these fields are mandatory. Even the information is blank in those fields system will not warn or lock when you apply the template. This is how the functionality designed.