receiving data from local serial port via Terminal Server

adyturnadyturn Member Posts: 11
Hi.
We have previously integrated a scale into NAV 4 SP3.
This was used to read data from the scale that was connected to the local PC's COM port when a certain event was triggered.
We used the NFcomm.ocx to achieve this.
This worked perfectly when the NAV client was run locally on the PC.
The customer now needs to move the database to a remote server and the users now have to access NAV via a Teminal server.
We have mapped the ports via the RDP session and it appears as if the local COM1 is mapped to the RDP COM1.
the problem now arises that when we attempt to read the data from the scale, it fails.
hope someone can give me an idea of what to try. ](*,)

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The automations are not working with RDP and the virtual COM ports... you need to use different way. Which functions you are using? Right today I created some ActiveX using .NET SerialPort class which should work with RDP (not tested yet), but right now it have only basic functionality (open/send/receive/close)....
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • adyturnadyturn Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the reply, all we are using are the basic functions - open port, receive data, close port.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Synchronous or asynchronous? Do you need to have the event when data are available or NAV is periodically checking the input?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • adyturnadyturn Member Posts: 11
    NAV will check the input based on the user.
    The scale will only send information when there is something on it, and the user will press a button on a form (in NAV) to initiate the communication.