DCO License question

QuothQuoth Member Posts: 4
Hi all,

First time post having lurked for some time so go easy!

We are running Nav 4.00 SP3 having moved across from an Peoplesoft product a couple of years back. With our Peoplesoft product we used to use SQL Reporting Services quite extensively (covered by our SQL CAL).

We were looking to do the same with Nav but are being told that we require a DCO License. I've had a trawl through the DCO documentation (that which there is of it) and having reviewed the scenarios I'm not convinced we need a DCO license for what we plan to do (SQL Reporting Services working on static data dumps).

However, the greater issue is whether we need a DCO license for NAV 4.00. From what version do DCO licenses apply? The documentation seems suitably vague and having searched the web have not been able to find a definitive answer.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Q

Answers

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    There is no definitive answer. Everyone, including your company, your partner, and Microsoft, will probably have some sort of different idea as to whether or not you need a DCO license.

Customer: "It's our data, we have moved it to a data warehouse, so it's not NAV data anymore. We can do what we want with it"
    Partner: "If it is coming directly from NAV then they need a DCO license, unless they are already licensed for NAV."
    Microsoft: "Everyone who access NAV data, whether it be through a NAV client or anywhere else, needs a DCO license"

I have heard all three on the same project and it is very frustrating trying to do the right thing and be properly licensed, but not be able to get a straight answer.
  • QuothQuoth Member Posts: 4
    matttrax wrote:
    There is no definitive answer.

That's what I was afraid of! :D

Regards,

Q
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Just get the answer from someone at Microsoft and archive it. When there's a system auditor, you can bring up the answer as your proof.
  • QuothQuoth Member Posts: 4
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Just get the answer from someone at Microsoft and archive it. When there's a system auditor, you can bring up the answer as your proof.

Hi Alex,

Should have done this before I guess but I asked MS and got an email response quite quickly:
    Dynamics NAV DCO licenses are applicable from the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Business Essentials Edition.
    This is for Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 (this is the latest version).

Regards,

Q