Bin content table in item card

s_venkatesh78s_venkatesh78 Member Posts: 97
Dear Users,

I am using Microsoft Dynamics Nav 2009 SP1 version.

Noticed that in the sales order / reclassification journal lines, the field 'Bin' looksup to the 'Bin content' table in the item card. Due to this reason, if i have a scenario where i need to create a sales order first for an item which is not available in my inventory (Which i may purchase based on my customer purcase order), system is throwing an error message saying that 'Bin content does'nt exist' and the same gets applied to the reclassification journal.

ie., if the inventory is not available in a particular bin the system is not allowing us to create a sales order from that particular bin and is not allowing me to create a reclassification journal too.

I m planning to do a customization so that, in sales lines / reclassification journal lines if i lookup the 'Bin' field instead of lookup to the 'Bin conent' table i m going to point to the actual 'Bin' table. Will this have any impact during sales or posting reclassification ? (I will put a validation that if the inventory is not available in that particular bin system will not post negative inventory)
Thanks and Regards,
Venkatesh

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I would not make that customization. You solution is to configure default or fixed bins.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • s_venkatesh78s_venkatesh78 Member Posts: 97
    Actually, to explain in detail, we are using mobile (Handheld) solution to do the goods receipt, do the transfers from one bin to another bin and sales shipment. During this process, all the transactions are done in the handheld and the data is sent to Navision. When the data is sent to Navision while populating the data in the Navision 'Reclassification journal' for transfer and 'sales line' we are getting the 'Bin content does'nt exist' error. We don't have any fixed bins for the items for receiving / transfer and shipment. Thats the reason i can not default any 'bin' for the item.

Thats the reason i m thinking of changing the 'Bin' field in the sales line and reclassification journal line to the actual 'Bin' table instead of 'Bin contents' table. I just want to know whether if i do this customization will there be any impact ? or is there any reason why in std. navision the 'Bin' field in the sales line and reclassification journal is pointed to 'Bin contents' table ? is it just to check whether the inventory is there in that bin upon creation of the line (validation) or is there any other reason behind it ?
    Thanks and Regards,
    Venkatesh
    This isn't making any sense. Standard validation code on the sales line validates "Bin Code" to the Bin table not "Bin Content" table for orders. Only validates to "Bin Content" for invoices.

Is your system already modified?
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    ie., if the inventory is not available in a particular bin the system is not allowing us to create a sales order from that particular bin and is not allowing me to create a reclassification journal too.

Yes, of course. You can transfer only from bin, on which the item is available, same for sales order. In which order you are entering the transactions? For me it looks like you are trying to reclassify/sell something what is not available...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • s_venkatesh78s_venkatesh78 Member Posts: 97
    Dear All,

I can accept if the system throws the error 'Bin content' does not exist at the time of posting the sales invoice or at the time of posting the reclassification journal. But the sytem is throwing this message at the time of creation of the sales invoice line / reclassification journal line (even before posting).
    Thanks and Regards,
    Venkatesh
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, it is disproportion that you can prepare these lines "in advance" and post it later... but I think it could be easilly changed. The WHS Management is full of different things...
    IF "Bin Code" <> '' THEN
      IF (("Document Type" IN ["Document Type"::Order,"Document Type"::Invoice]) AND (Quantity >= 0)) OR
         (("Document Type" IN ["Document Type"::"Return Order","Document Type"::"Credit Memo"]) AND (Quantity < 0))
      THEN
        WMSManagement.FindBinContent("Location Code","Bin Code","No.","Variant Code",'')
      ELSE
        WMSManagement.FindBin("Location Code","Bin Code",'');

As you can see, the change there could be easy... I think it count with the process, where you are filling the bin after the pick/put away is posted...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Dear All,

I can accept if the system throws the error 'Bin content' does not exist at the time of posting the sales invoice or at the time of posting the reclassification journal. But the sytem is throwing this message at the time of creation of the sales invoice line / reclassification journal line (even before posting).

In your original post you stated "sales order". Now you say "sales invoice". Which are you using? As I stated above the "Bin Code" behavior is differnet between these documents. Also the reclass will follow the behavior of the invoice. They are both "it's happening now" transactions and therefore expect the inventory to be there.