Costing functionality in NAV

dannyboydannyboy Member Posts: 13
We are implementing NAV 2009 for a client who has 35000 SKU and has FIFO costing. By default NAV recommends "Adjust Item -cost entries" batch job to run on daily basis to calculate correct FIFO cost and update the COGS correctly. Otherwise the costing will be wrong.

Considering the volume of daily transactions (Client is in distribution business), this job has to be scheduled to run in the night. But due to high volume of transactions and number of SKU's, sometimes it does not stop even in morning.

I think this is a serious flaw in approach of NAV for calculating the costing. I dont think even other Microsoft Dynamics Products has this approach. This is causing a big issue here at client place. I cant run on a batch mode as i need real time data.

Does anyone had this kind of issue and how did they resolve this issue?

Please let me know

Comments

• vaprogvaprog Member Posts: 1,139
    You may try to activate Automatic Cost Adjustment in Inventory Setup. This moves some of the calculation payload to the posting process.

There is a technical whitepaper available on inventory valuation and costing. You can find more details about this in there. Unfortunatly I do not have an english copy to tell you it's proper name right aeway.
  • dannyboydannyboy Member Posts: 13
    Hi Vaprog

Thanks for the reply. In this case, the automatic cost adjustment is turned on. But still NAV insists to run this batch job on daily basis. I am not asking for the logical point of view as i understand that how costing is done. I am asking from the Operational point of view during the project implementation. I feel that a job of implementor will be hell due to this kind of approach from NAV

Thanks
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Sounds like you have a tuning problem.
    This means analyzing the code and if you are running on SQL Server, then analyzing your SQL Server performance - if this is the case, I suggest you re-post in the SQL Server performance forum and provide your configuration details - SQL Server version, 32 or 64 bit, RAM, disk drive configuration,
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    davmac1 wrote:
    This means analyzing the code and if you are running on SQL Server, then analyzing your SQL Server performance - if this is the case, I suggest you re-post in the SQL Server performance forum and provide your configuration details - SQL Server version, 32 or 64 bit, RAM, disk drive configuration,

This.

We have a client that has the about 30k SKUs as well, and the adjust cost finished in about an hour.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Do not forget to check for possible hotfixes on partnersource. There are some bugs related to the adjust jobs and performance.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
    Alex Chow wrote:
    davmac1 wrote:

This.

We have a client that has the about 30k SKUs as well, and the adjust cost finished in about an hour.
    Inline with Alex, and I do not experience the same problem.
    Regards,
    Andwian
  • dannyboydannyboy Member Posts: 13
    Hi Kine

I checked Partnersource for possible hotfixes for NAV 2009 (NO SP) for Worldwide edition. Seems it is not appear there.
    Please let me know where it is available for NAV 2009 Worldwide edition for Adjust cost topic?

Your help is appreciated.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I agree with the performance and tuning comments.
    ---
    dannyboy wrote:
    ...I think this is a serious flaw in approach of NAV for calculating the costing...

How is a process that works and results in accurate accounting information flawed? How would you suggest it should work?
    dannyboy wrote:
    ...I dont think even other Microsoft Dynamics Products has this approach...

I've worked with older version of some of the other products. On the surface I can tell you your assumption is correct. But also keep in mind that Microsoft did not design any of their Dynamics products. They were all obtained by acquiring other companies. So why would we except them to be the same?
    dannyboy wrote:
    ... need real time data...

What "real time data" do you need? Whan and where do you need the "real time data"? Are these expectations reasonable in a FIFO environment?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    dannyboy wrote:
    Hi Kine

I checked Partnersource for possible hotfixes for NAV 2009 (NO SP) for Worldwide edition. Seems it is not appear there.
    Please let me know where it is available for NAV 2009 Worldwide edition for Adjust cost topic?

Your help is appreciated.

I highly recommend to upgrade your system to SP1 (R2).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.