Navision/Serenic Payroll Calculation Problem

mkuszamkusza Member Posts: 40
We have not had a problem with the payroll calculation until recently we noticed that our 401k distribution is coming from the employee gross and than the SS and Medicare is coming out of the gross minus the 401k...Ex. Gross pay is 1000, 200 goes to 401k, SS and Medicare is being taken from $800...it should be being taken from the 1000. This just started occurring and the only thing we changed was the SS % from 6.2 to 4.2. Any ideas on why this is occuring? This is for both the employee and employeer. If employee is not participating in 401k the calculation is correct.

Comments

• JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
    Well, troubleshooting Payroll is a tricky area, which is one factor in why so few folks are certified in it.

Are you familiar with Calc Trace and how to enable it? That can be key to diagnosing Payroll issues.

Separately, at least in the demonstration company settings, SS EE is setup to exclude the "401(k) Contribution" based on the Name Filter. Check to make sure someone hasn't changed the name without changing the Base Amounts that the Method Steps rely on.
    JEREMY VYSKA
    CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
    New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"
    Inspired by your question, I've written up one of the tools I use to debug Serenic HCM Payroll issues:

http://smallsquareservices.com/2011/05/ ... alc-trace/

Hope it helps.
    JEREMY VYSKA
    New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"
  • mkuszamkusza Member Posts: 40
    Thank you for your help. We are going to give it a try and see what happened. I'll post the results for future reference and resolution.
    mkusza wrote:
    We have not had a problem with the payroll calculation until recently we noticed that our 401k distribution is coming from the employee gross and than the SS and Medicare is coming out of the gross minus the 401k...Ex. Gross pay is 1000, 200 goes to 401k, SS and Medicare is being taken from $800...it should be being taken from the 1000. This just started occurring and the only thing we changed was the SS % from 6.2 to 4.2. Any ideas on why this is occuring? This is for both the employee and employeer. If employee is not participating in 401k the calculation is correct.

BTW, this happened to a client of mine as well. It's in the Serenic official update is setup to calculate the way you've described. Attempts to explain how this is wrong have not worked out well, so now any clients that have 401k's, I do the updates manually to not override the corrected base amount math, rather than just bulk updating from their data. I've had other partners confirm they, too, update manually to avoid this issue.

Thought I'd share, for future search results.
    JEREMY VYSKA