upgrading from navision 5.0 sql server to nav2009 sql server

ernesternest Member Posts: 162
Hi all
I am using Navision 5.0 Sql Server option. I dont have any customized objects, only 1 or 2 reports. I am trying to do an upgrade to Navision 2009 R2 sql Server option, but i could not find any user guide how to do that.

The user manual for upgrade were for cases when upgrading from non sql server option to nav 2009 R2.

I installed Navision 2009 R2 and tried to open the database, i it told me that the version was old and needed an upgrade. I did so and the upgrade finished successfully, but i wanted to know if i did anything wrong.

I opened it with Nav 2009 Classic. Can you tell me if i forgot something?

Thank you all and best regards
Ernest

Comments

• mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,504
    you can get Upgrade Quick Guide 500_2009.doc in your nav2009 product DVD under
    \\NAV2009DVD\UpgradeToolKit\Documents\Upgrade Quickguides
  • ernesternest Member Posts: 162
    Hi

Thank for your reply

I have seen the user guides, but i dont have any customized entities, so that's why i was asking if it is needed to delete all objects (except tables), and then import them again.

Thank you and best regards
    Ernest
    Yes, you have to..

Then only you can have new functionalities or bug fixes of nav2009.
    Merge tables and 2 or 3 modified reports..
    Thanks again for you answer.

The user guide is starting with smth i dont get. it is saying.
    1 Create a backup of the customer’s current version of Microsoft Dynamics NAV from
    a client computer and then uninstall the old version of Microsoft Dynamics NAV on
    that computer.
    2 Install the newest version of Microsoft Dynamics NAV on the client computer.
    3 Restore the objects from the backup of the old customized database into the new
    version of Microsoft Dynamics NAV. Do not restore the data now.
    4 Restore the backup of the old standard database that you have just created into the
    new version of Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

How to create a backup from the client when i am using sql server option????

Thank again
    Ernest
    You can take backup from client even you are using SQL Server..
    Tools-->Backup
    Aha ok i didnt get it.

But now i have another question:

3 Restore the objects from the backup of the old customized database into the new
    version of Microsoft Dynamics NAV. Do not restore the data now.
    4 Restore the backup of the old standard database that you have just created into the
    new version of Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

After installing the nav client 2009, how to restore only the objects but not the data because i am getting real confused here.

Regards and thanks again
    Ernest
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    ernest wrote:
    Hi all
    I am using Navision 5.0 Sql Server option. I dont have any customized objects, only 1 or 2 reports. I am trying to do an upgrade to Navision 2009 R2 sql Server option, but i could not find any user guide how to do that.

The user manual for upgrade were for cases when upgrading from non sql server option to nav 2009 R2.

I installed Navision 2009 R2 and tried to open the database, i it told me that the version was old and needed an upgrade. I did so and the upgrade finished successfully, but i wanted to know if i did anything wrong.

I opened it with Nav 2009 Classic. Can you tell me if i forgot something?

Thank you all and best regards
    Ernest

The steps you took is for an executable upgrade, not a database (or functional) upgrade. So the executable is using NAV2009, but the database functionality is still 5.0.

You need a developer license to do a database upgrade. Are you an end user? Or a solution center?
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV Three Tier' forum to 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Hi Alex.

We have developer license, because we are solution center.

In which file you are checking the above points..
    I cant see the above points in the file path i have mentioned above..(6.0SP1 DVD)
    In the upgrade-toolkit-manual.pdf.

My question is very simple. If i dont have any customized object, it is necessary to do all the exports (because i dont want to save any customized object), delete all objects except tables, and then import from the customized (which i dont have).
    If i have to do so, how to solve the point that i am stuck. So restore objects but no data, which is very confusing for me.

Please suggest

thank you and best regards

Regards
    Ernest
    You have to check Upgrade Quick Guide 500_2009.doc under
    \\NAV2009SP1\UpgradeToolKit\Documents\Upgrade Quickguides
    as i told you in previous post
    Hi mohana_cse06

thanks for all your posts. I will briefly describe the process which i follow according to the document that you are referring.

Step 1.
    Customize new standard objects. (I DONT HAVE ANY CUSTOMIZED OBJECTS, SO I DIDNT DO NOTHING)

Step 2
    Prepare for the data conversion. (ALL THE STEPS FROM a TO i COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY)

Step 3
    Convert the database to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1. (DONE WITH THE: "You can also open a copy of the customer’s existing database with the Classic client in Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 and convert the database.")

Step 4
    Delete all objects except tables.

Step 5
    Import the new customized objects that you created in the compare and merge process (part of step 1).

I IGNORED STEPS 4 AND 5, BECAUSE I DONT HAVE ANY CUSTOMIZED ENTITIES (Please tell me if i am doing something wrong??)[/color]

Step 6
    Compile all objects in the new database.(DONE, I HAVE 26 OBJECTS WITH THE ERROR "Could not load the selected type library")

Step 7
    For each company, initialize the company in the upgraded database
    Run codeunit 2, Company-Initialize. (DONE)
    Open form 531, Setup Checklist, to update the checklist for the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 data structure. (I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO IT)

Step 8
    Upgrade data common to all companies. (DONE)

Step 9
    Test the database. (DONE)

Step 10 is to install all the clients and continue working. now my questions are: "How to do the thing in point 7??" and: "Is the upgrade DONE????? "

please suggest

Ernest
    ernest wrote:
    "Is the upgrade DONE????? "
    No..

You have upgraded the client but not the functionality..
    even if you dont have any customized objects, you have to import all objects from base 6.0SP1 Database..
    So i have to import all objects (except tables) from the database that the installation creates automatically (Demo Database NAV 6.0)?

Thanks
    Ernest
    Hi Mohana

Thank for all your posts and thanks for helping me.
    This is getting very confused for me. I am sorry if I am bothering you with all these questions, but i am really stuck with this thing.

I want to do this step by step, so starting from the first step

(Customize new standard objects.
    Any customization in the customer’s old database must be implemented in the new database.
    )

If i dont have any customization, do i have to do anything here, because i dont have any?

Regards and thanks again.
    Ernest
    1.nothing do here if you dont have any customizations..

2. Convert the 5.0 Database to 6.0SP1 by directly opening with 6.0 client

3. Delete all forms, reports, dataports and codeunits from the database but NOT the tables.

4. Import the all objects from 6.0SP1 (including tables).

5. Compile all objects in the new database.
    Hi mohana

I converted the database

I deleted all the objects except tables.

Please tell me how to import object from 6.0SP1. ( I tried to export all object from Demo Database Nav 6-0 and then import them in my database but nothing is happening, Please explain if i am doing something wrong)

Ernest
    I hope you have exported objects by selection all and what do you mean by nothing happening?

Didnt you get any confirmation or worksheet opened?
    I did this:

I opened the Demo Database Nav 6-0 from the Classic Client. I selected all objects (including tables)

I exported them in a .fob file.

Opened the old database, opened the object designer, which has only the tables now, and then went to File->Import.

And there i had some i could not import anything.

Ernest
    Hi Mohana

When i try to Import all objects it is giving me the errors that you can not change or delete 'field_name', field must be 0 or blank.

Can you please suggest anything.

Regards
    Ernest
    In which table and Filed name?

Is it a standatd field or customized?

You said there are no customizations?
    Apparently there were some customization, done not from us, but we have some italian license and thats why i cannot do the upgrade the way i am doing, because some fields are different in the database like "Official Date" in G/L Entry table, etc.

So i have to check the user guide again and try to export the customizations.

One short question. I have to export all customizations, and import them in the new database and then do restore??

Thanks for your help and your time, and i am so sorry for not understanding this before.

Thanks again
    Ernest.
    you have to merge the Customizations in to R2 Objects
    Yes that's what i am trying to do.

Please correct me if I am wrong until now.

I have created a backup of the actual database. I have exported all the object of the actual database.

I have uninstalled the old client of the Navision.

I have installed the Navision 2009 R2.

Opened the Nav Classic 2009 (with Sql Server Option) and applied my license.

Created a new Database and a new company.

Imported all the objects that i have exported at the beginning.

Please correct me if i have done anything wrong until now. :)

Now the guide tells me to Restore the database created in the first step.

Here is the question: Do I have to create a new database and do the restore??

Thanksssss

Regards
    Ernest
    I have created a backup of the actual database. I have exported all the object of the actual database.

I have uninstalled the old client of the Navision.

I have installed the Navision 2009 R2.

Opened the Nav Classic 2009 (with Sql Server Option) and applied my license.

If you have still database attached in SQL then Open the database with R2 client (Convert)
    if not, restore the backup which you have taken in the first step.(First create new database in SQL)

After conversion, import the merged objects.
    I converted the database and the imported the objects that i created in the first step.

It did only replacements. Am I doing something wrong?

These merged objects should be imported in the upgraded database or in the new database.

If I am wright now should i continue with the other steps of the upgrade?

Regards
    Ernest
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Check the upgrade-document that you find on the installation DVD. It explains what you must do.

In short (first do it on a test-system to do a beta-upgrade):
    -install new client
    -Or you open the DB with the new client and convert it or you create a new DB with the new client and restore the full backup in it.
    -import some conversion objects and run them
    -delete all objects except tables
    -import the new objects
    -import some conversion objects and run them
    -delete conversion objects.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Hi kriki

I am not understanding where i am doing wrong.

I created a backup of actual database.
    I exported all objects from actual database.

Installed the new client.
    Opened the database and converted it.
    Imported the objects that i exported above.
    Did a compile and was successful (except some objects with the error "Could not load the selected library")
    Deleted all object except Tables.

Now where to get these new objects to import. That is what i cannot understand.

Please help me on this.

Regards