Accidentally converted Nav 5 to Nav 2009

dkgardendkgarden Member Posts: 38
Dear all,

We are currently using NAV 5.0 client. We have installed NAV 2009 client on client machine but actually we have not convert the database to the latest version. If a user use the NAV 2009 to open NAV 5.0 database, the system will asked to convert the database to the lastest version. Once converted to the new version, users are unable to access using NAV 5.0 client. Since we have not complete our client migration to Nav 2009, we have manually changed the value in databaseserversionno from “150” back to “95” which is Nav5.0 client version in $ndo$dbproperty table.

Upon changing, the users can login again using NAV 5.0 client. My question is, can we do this way and what is the impact? Our vendor suggest us to do a restore but restore will impact a lot of things especially on the data entry to rekeyin again prior to the incident.

Appreciate if someone can help on this issue.

Thanks and Regards,
DK garden

Comments

• pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    Several posts about this topic.

The basics:
    viewtopic.php?p=23576

List of changes per version:
    http://wiki.dynamicsbook.com/index.php? ... ers_in_NAV

An example of how to downgrade from 5SP1 to 4, including handling the SIFT -> VSIFT conversion which you don't need.
    http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/stryk/arc ... g-nav.aspx

My suggestion would be to stay on NAV2009, and get the new clients (remember NAS as well) installed right away. There will most likely only be a few situations you will need to handle on the fly. I would guess it is more secure, than messing with the DatabaseVersionNo property... Otherwise I would create a Support Incident, and get Microsoft to evaluate the exact consequenses jumping from 150 to 95.
    Regards
    Peter
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV Three Tier' forum to 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!