'Bulk purchase' License or separate licenses?

pklripklri Member Posts: 6
Hi Experts,

I am in end-user environment, we have few countries intended using Navision 2009, and our server is centralised in Malaysia. we have 30 users for Malaysia, 10 users for Singapore and 15 users for Indonesia, and each countries will have their own database.

My question is:
- Is it possible we purchase ONE license for total 55 users and share among 3 countries 3 databases, or we shall purchase 3 separate licenses for 3 countries? We have consulted local partners, but different local partner giving different answer, some say is possible to arrange a 'bulk-purchase' license, but some replied a 'No' answer, may anyone tell me which and what kind of license we shall purchase? 'Bulk-purchase license' or 'separate licenses'?

- if I should purchase 3 licenses, can I purchase all licenses from 1 NAV partner, let say the Malaysia registered NAV partner (who is not a NAV partner registered in Singapore nor Indonesia) or I shall purchase the 3 licenses from 3 local registered NAV partner from each country?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV Three Tier' forum to 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum]

If all countries have their own database, it probably means they also have local objects (=country-specific objects). To be able to use them, you are forced to buy a license per country.

The other option is to select 1 'main' country and buy the license there. To be able to use the country-specific objects of other countries, your partner needs to convert them to 'customized' objects so they can be used with any license.
    There are some problems with this approach:
    -I don't know if Microsoft allows this (I think it is allowed but I am not sure. I know some have done it)
    -Extra cost because your partner has to convert it (you have to pay for this). How much depends on how much objects have to be converted.
    -If you have a problem with those country-specific objects, your partner has to solve without help of Microsoft.
    -If you upgrade version, or there is a fix for country-specific objects, your partner will have to convert them.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• pklripklri Member Posts: 6
    Thanks kriki for the comment.

As you mentioned, we are not sure whether the second option - "select 1 'main' country and buy the license there" is allowed by Microsoft, can I have the advise from the representative from Microsoft here? Or how can I get direct contact with Microsoft on this matter?

Thank you.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    I already put the topic to the attention of Microsoft.
    Otherwise you should contact your local Microsoft office for more info.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    -I don't know if Microsoft allows this (I think it is allowed but I am not sure. I know some have done it)

This is allowed by MS. They had released a document on partnersource that describes this method.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    Thanks Kriki for your kind help. I hope someone from Microsoft will contact me on this matter, and at the same time I will try to contact the local Microsoft Office as well.

Thanks ara3n for the confirmation, but is it fine if you could send a copy of this document to me or where can source this from partnersource (the path), so that I can present it to my management to 'comfort' them (as they are questioning the legality issue if we select 1 main country).
    I couldn't find the link, but I remember downloading it. I've uploaded here the document.

https://sites.google.com/site/ara3nfile ... cedure.pdf
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

Thank you very much, ara3n, this is a great help. :D
    you are welcome.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini