Changing Costing Method

megawavezmegawavez Member Posts: 133
Sorry, I know there are a bunch of posts out, there but what I want to do is pretty dramatic so I wanted to get some feedback. Anyway, in 5.0 SP1, I want to change the costing method to FIFO. Current costing is a combination of Standard & Average costing. Renaming and replacing items would be.... painful, so I'm exploring the possibility of programitcally changing the costing. From what I've read it's:
* Invoice all POs & SOs
* adjust cost
* reduce qty. to zero (by location)
* programatically change the costing method
* reintroduce inventory
Is this it? Are there any hidden gotchas I have to worry about? We have 10k + items, many sales order, purchase orders, and prod. orders, so renaming & replacing parts would be painful as mentioned above.

Thanks,
M

Comments

• jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    I think you've pretty much described the only process that will work to get you to switch your costing method without renumbering (which can be very painful). Overall it's a simple process to logically describe but can be programatically difficult to execute.

One thing you have to watch out for is zeroing out the inventory (by location) to ensure that there are no open item ledger entry (ILE) records. This can be problematic sometimes as the inventory may be open lines even though there are no items in inventory. Those lines typically need to be manually checked and cleared.

E.g.
    ILE A - Item 1 - has qty of -1
    ILE B - Item 1 - has qty of -1
    ILE C - Item 1 - has qty of 2

The sum of the above 3 lines is 0 and the application engine in Codeunit 22 may not close those lines out. However if they are not fully zereod out they will still be flagged as "open" and will prevent you from changing the costing method.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com