Users with different locales

ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
Hi
Following up this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41250

Is it possible to have users from different countries (eg. China and Switzerland) and different time zones to work in the same db and same company?

Thanks in advance.
Thomas

Answers

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    There is no why it should not work. If they are working from PC with correct timezone... Only one thing - they need to use correct codepage for non-unicode aplications, and question is, which one it will be.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Hi Kamil
    Thanks for replying. Do you mind to give some more detailed info? No dissertation of course, just a bit more to point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
    Thomas
    You need to answer some questions first:
    Which collation you will use on the database?
    In which language/codepage will be the data inside the NAV?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hi Kamil
    Thanks. I forgot to mention it's a native db, on a swiss server. The servers setting for non-unicode programs is german (switzerland).
    Regards
    Heinz
    And people from China will work in the German language? If yes, they need to have to set language for non-unicode app to the German.

In general:
    the Language for non-unicode app is there to set the translation between characters in DB and characters displayed on the monitor, and characters entered through keyboard and inserted into the database.

Timezone have only one effect: all DateTime fields are recalculated to your timezone. All DateTime fields in NAV are stored in GMT, and recalculated to your active timezone. It means it will show you the date and time in your local timezone. You need to think about this... sometime it is a problem, mainly when working together with fields of type Date and fields of type Time.
    (you can have 3 fields in one table - date, time and datetime, when you enter the value in Switzerland, you will have e.g. 21.4.2011, 12:00, 21.4.2011 12:00. When you open the record i China, you will have e.g. 21.4.2011, 12:00, 21.4.2011 20:00).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hi Kine
    Thanks a lot for your explanations, question is solved.
    Thomas