Create Warehouse Shipment/Create Pick With Reservations

Jonathan2708Jonathan2708 Member Posts: 552
Hi,

I'm new to warehousing and am a bit surprised to find that both Creare Warehouse Shipment and Create Pick seem to basically ignore reservations when suggesting the lines for the activity documents. The warehouse shipment is always created with the full order quantities, and when creating a pick from the shipment it simply suggests to take stock from whatever bins it can find, regardless of whether the quantity was reserved or not. This is causing huge problems with orders that cannot be completely reserved but are being shipped - the picks suggest to take stock that is reserved for other orders.

Is there some setting in warehouse setup that I've missed? How have other users tackled this problem?

Any help appreciated,

Jonathan

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I usually do not recommend using reservation. So most of my implementation we do not setup reservations. There are many headache and shortcomings as you are experiencing.

My suggestion is to add some code to prevent warehouse shipment creation if the sales order is not fully reserved.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Jonathan2708Jonathan2708 Member Posts: 552
    Hi Rashed, many thanks for the reply.

I’ve found there are 2 ways to create a warehouse pick :

1.Use ‘Create Pick’ from Warehouse Shipment screen. This seems to create the pick purely based on whatever quantities it finds in the bins, regardless of what reservations are held against the stock.

2.Use the Pick Worksheet screen – Departments>Warehouse>Planning & Execution>Tasks>Pick Worksheets
    This screen is for gathering multiple shipments into picks. You click ‘Get Warehouse Documents’ to select the warehouse shipments you want to pick for. When you click OK to bring the shipments into the worksheet, it calculates the ‘Available Qty. to Pick’ column which does take into account reservations on other orders as per the help file so only suggests the qty to pick for free stock.

Neither method requires the stock on the sales order to be reserved.

I think it’s best if I change the ‘Create Warehouse Shipment’ procedure to only look at lines on the sales order that have been reserved – this cuts out the problem before creating the pick is even considered.

I can still see holes in the system here though, because I’ve found that even after you create a pick for an order and register the pick to put the quantity in the ‘DESPATCH’ bin, you can still go to the sales order and cancel the reservation allowing other orders to get the stock! It’s as though the reservations are purely tied to stock ledger entries (which are only affected at point of ship & invoice) and have no effect on the warehouse entries.
  • AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
    I just known about this issues.
    I think that the Pick will consider only the non-reserved inventory before.
    Thanks for sharing all.
    Regards,
    Andwian