Payroll add-on alternatives

Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
One of our clients is looking to implement payroll in their NAV system. I know Serenic has a payroll add-on, but I'm not too happy about the strict requirements of implementing their solution.

What are some of the payroll add-on options out there for Dynamics NAV in the US market?

Comments

• sendohsendoh Member Posts: 207
    Sendoh
    be smart before being a clever.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Thanks for the link, however, looking at their website, I don't believe their product supports US payroll.
  • Robert999Robert999 Member Posts: 1
    I've been trying to find the same thing Alex. It's almost like in the U.S. that Serenic has a monopoly on this (I guess due to their history of being the exclusive supplier until about 5 years ago). I've been trying to find competing solutions. What do you mean by “strict requirements of implementing their solution"?
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    Robert999 wrote:
    I've been trying to find the same thing Alex. It's almost like in the U.S. that Serenic has a monopoly on this (I guess due to their history of being the exclusive supplier until about 5 years ago). I've been trying to find competing solutions. What do you mean by “strict requirements of implementing their solution"?
    We used it for 8 years, it worked well. their strict requirements are probably that you have to be on the latest release -1, they will not support anything older, so if the latest release is 2009 sp8, you could be on 2009 SP7 or 8

I don't know that actual service packs that are out now, we are still on 4.0 with no service pack.

the only reason we left was we were purchased by an bigger company, who does the payroll with a different service.

we got around the no support, becuase the program worked, and we manually loaded the tax tables once a year. which was very easy to do.
    Robert999 wrote:

Strict requirements meaning you have to pay them a fee before you can start selling their product. In addition, you have to have 2 people certified on their product.
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Robert999 wrote:

Strict requirements meaning you have to pay them a fee before you can start selling their product. In addition, you have to have 2 people certified on their product.
    I understand the requirement to have 2 people certified, it is very important to get it setup correctly and it is very complicated to get setup. but paying a fee to sell there product, that is pretty bad.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    What about finding product outside of NAV and integrate?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    themave wrote:
    but paying a fee to sell there product, that is pretty bad.

By the way, we have to pay a fee to Microsoft to sell their product as well.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Unless Microsoft has gone up dramatically in price, Microsoft offers much better value for the money.
    I have worked in payrolls for other software, and the Serenic payroll is much better and much more complicated.
    I understand the training requirements, but going through a 1 week training course does not make you an expert any more than passing the developer courses for NAV.
    They are not the only ISV requiring an upfront fee.
    It is tough to justify for just one client unless it is required as part of a profitable deal.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I am personally opposed to having Payroll done in Navision. Managing payroll is a big job, and can be the source of many problems for a company. My first preference is for the company to use an external payroll company, and simply integrate the data from the HR module and import financial data through Journals. The second option is to have a lose connection to an external specialized payroll program. I know that many times its hard to convince the client, but payroll is intrinsically different to typcial ERP functionality.

On top of all this, its always a hassle trying to manage the security on this. I have seen a lot of Navision clients that have two completely separate installs (on separate servers) to keep payroll data confidential. They might as well just use a dedicated payroll package.

Also I really don't see any strong justification for having payroll in Navision, what specific business benefit does it offer?
    David Singleton
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    That's how we do it.
    We use ADP.
    We get a report every two weeks.
    In General Journal I have a batch called "Payroll" setup with all needed entries.
    I put in a few main numbers off the report & post.
    8)

Cost of doing it yourself + headaches vs. Outside payroll company

Did you check Simcrest?
    http://www.screencast.com/users/SimCres ... 3052fe3413