Sales Order Modification

smeadesmeade Member Posts: 33
Our client has asked about the possibility of a mod to the Sale Order that will allow them to "attach" a second item to an item validated on the lines of a Sales Order. So that each time Item A is validated, a line for Item B is added to the order. We know about the Bill of Materials, but our client wants a way around having to create the third item, i.e. the Bill of Material. Anyone have any experience with something similar?

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Either way they would have to create something that said when item A is sold also sell item B. I think this sounds like one of those cases where the process should bend to NAV and not the other way around. BOMs work for what they need and will give them greater flexibility long term.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Depends....

If it is always just one additional Item you could consider some sort of "Attached Item No." as a field in the Item table, and add some logic to add an Item line to the order when an Item has a value in that field.

Lots of questions though: is it always limited to just one item, could one item be accompanied by different items, could the attached item be an item that has an attached item itself, how do you prevent an endless loop if the attached item has the original item as its attached item, etcetera, etcetera....

I agree with Matt, use BOMs. It's already there, learn how to use them and take advantage of out-of-the-box functionality.