Options

Android - Contacts on SD card

BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
edited 2011-08-26 in General Chat
hi everone, i recently bought a smartphone with android 2.2.1 and i'd like to know if someone of you already managed to find a way to save his contacts to SD card. My phone have something like 150 MB of internal memory, and if i'll save all my contacts in there (with photos etc, you know :mrgreen: ), the phonebook it's going to take out a lot of space that i need for something else. :-k
I tried to google a lot about this, but i'm probably using some wrong keyword...I don't believe it's not possible to do it!
-Mirko-
"Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
My Blog

Comments

• Options
    kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    Are you talking about moving them to the SD card like apps, and using them from there?
  • Options
    yes, exactly!
    or at least, i'd like to know where does the phone save them: you know, if you synch the phonebook with facebook or so, you'll get a lot of photo contacts! (which are cool, indeed) :mrgreen:
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    I'm not sure that's possible. It would make the phone slow.

I guess the phone saves the contacts in some SQLite database but I bet you'll need root access to your device. Have you rooted your phone to get access to it's internal storage?
  • Options
    not yet, i've a galaxy ace, which is relatively new on the market, thus there are no suitable ROMs yet to justify the rooting (and thus voiding the warranty) :cry:
    Up to now, i still have a bunch of memory (something like 75mb...i'll wait for some geek to find the way, eventually :wink: )
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
    For now, the only way is via rooting and doing a softlink to trick the app to use the SD card, sadly.

And FB is definitely a beast for phone storage (depending on your friend count, of course), since it slurps up a lot of extra data.
    JEREMY VYSKA
    CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
    New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"
  • Options
    JDVyska wrote:
    For now, the only way is via rooting and doing a softlink to trick the app to use the SD card, sadly.

And FB is definitely a beast for phone storage (depending on your friend count, of course), since it slurps up a lot of extra data.
    Too bad, I was afraid to receive an answer like this. :(
    the funny thing is that my phone is currently bricked due to a samsung frimware upgrade (a "standard" firmware upgrade!!!)
    fortunately, i haven't already rooted my phone and it was still in warranty, phew!
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    my phone is now rooted and has a so called "custom ROM". I bet i'll be able to move the entire phonebook to the SD soon :whistle:
    -Mirko-
    My Blog