Options

Problem with a report with many pages

RMarcRMarc Member Posts: 36
edited 2011-03-16 in NAV Three Tier
I all!!

I've a problem with a report in Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1. The problem is both in Classic Client and RTC.
I try to preview the Report 10706 (in spanish version, "Account - Official Acc. Book") but I have a lot of movs. in G/L Entry table, about 5 million records per year.

My problem is, i can't preview the report for one year, so i filter quarters, but when run preview, the sistem return me this errors:
- Classic Client: Error (131): An attempt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file.
- RTC: System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

I read the post with the same problem and the conclussion is that Microsoft Dynamics NAV cannot handle temporary files that exceed 2 GB when the report inserts data into a temporary table. But in my case, the report 10706 don't use a temporary table...

I've tried to do COMMIT every 1000 records read and all I get is that for months, the RTC client seems to work, but after processing the data for many minutes, does not display any data ](*,) ](*,) .
With the classic client works fine if I filter month to month :? , but do not want to use the classic client for this, because users work with the RTC as this gives the ability to save in PDF and can display the report with colors, etc.

Anyone have any idea how to solve this problem? [-o<
Thanks a lot in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    By the way, I have also tried to get the PDF report using the new feature of NAV for the RTC, SAVEASPDF, so that the system does not have to bear in memoty the preview, but the system returns the same error. ](*,)

Thanks a lot!!
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The NAV client is able to generate files with max size of 2GB. During generating report there is temp file created. It seems that the report is too big and the file exceeded this size. Check the free harddisk space too...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Thanks for you reply kine,

The hard disk free space is not the problem. I,ve 1TB free space...

Finally I solved the incidence taking a preview from the classic client and printing it through a PDF printer installed on the server.

Now, I will discuss the case with Microsoft to see if they plan to resolve through an HF or the next version.

Thanks!
  • Options
    ChrisBChrisB Member Posts: 1
    I am very new to Navision. But the reason for the error message is you are running out of memory.
    Not Hard drive. but actual memory (physical and page).

Best thing to do is to re-write the report to pull smaller amounts at time.
    PDF is not going work anyway, as per MS , PDF has limit in size.

Not best thing to do, but you can cheat. Since you have a lot hard drive space.
    Increase you page file. I've had to make page file for some RS Servers 800gigs, since finance deptments
    wanted huge silly reports.
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    I have had a similar problem:
    - I CAN preview the report (599 pages)
    - I try to save it as pdf, but after waiting for 20 mins or so, the report returns the system.outofmemoryexception error

Is there some solution other than splitting the report? In this moment i'm trying to use SAVEASPDF directly on the report without generating the preview :-k i don't know if it is useful, but let's try it...

there's also this hotfix, but i'm wondering if it's really my problem...
    https://mbs2.microsoft.com/Knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspxWTNTZSMNWUKNTMMYYMYQKSYMXOSOOUMLQKRQYXSKZZTMMXTOKUPNNVKRZXUPQMZQ
    edit: link doesn't work, grrr...the kb no. is 979700
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog