Options

File Access Permissions - NAV Service Tier

matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
edited 2011-02-25 in NAV Three Tier
We are facing a strange issue that has only recently come up in the past few weeks. When we release orders it creates a text file for an external application. All of a sudden users will no longer be able to release orders via the RTC because of an error when generating this file. "Either the caller does not have the required permission or the specified path is read only." I have seen this error many times, but it is never intermittent like this.

At the same time that this happens, all services on the machine stop accepting new connections. Users that were already logged in via the RTC are able to function, other than releasing orders. Restarting services on the box does not help. I full server restart is the only method we have found to fix the issue. The error does not affect the Classic Client at all.

When RDPd into the service tier box I can connect via the RTC.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? It is a three-tiered setup. The service tier box is pretty hefty for what it is, quad core and 16GB memory. It runs four service tier services. Viewing task manager I don't see that the box is being pressed hard or anything. I still need to investigate the Event Log more in depth.

Comments

• Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    I hope you know this, in RTC the business logic run at service tier machine..
    as you said, whenever you release the order it will export a txt file..
    the file will be trying to export in service tier machine and the users may not have the permissions in that machine..
  • Options
    I hope you know this, in RTC the business logic run at service tier machine..
    as you said, whenever you release the order it will export a txt file..
    the file will be trying to export in service tier machine and the users may not have the permissions in that machine..

Of course. That doesn't explain why it would be working fine for a user all day long and then they would suddenly not be able to, though.

Since it happened yesterday near end of business I decided to let it sit over night to see if a restart would not me necessary. Turns out it was not. The problem has mysteriously fixed itself.

I don't even know where to begin on this one.
  • Options
    kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    Have you tried using Sysinternals suite to see if some file handle remains open? Some guessing could be some windows indexing or antivirus or other process blocking the file / folder. Just guessing, it wouldn't hurt to investigate.
  • Options
    I have never used sysinternals and don't really know much about it. Here's a link for those who are interested:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb842062

I will have to see what I can figure out about how it is used.

We don't appear to have any anti-virus on that machine, but I am going to confirm with some other members of the team. It has happened near the same time of day both times, so this does lead me to believe that something scheduled is coming along and blocking the folder.
  • Options
    Looks like I want Process Explorer and Process Monitor.

Process Explorer will let you see if anything is holding onto a file, and I assume folder.
    Process Monitor will let you filter on a path and display all of the reads / writes to that specific folder and what process is doing it.

Anyone who has used these tools more have any pointers?
  • Options
    kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    matttrax wrote:
    I will have to see what I can figure out about how it is used.

From the suite I use procexp.exe which is an advanced task manager. From the menu I choose Find -> Find Handle or dll and I search for the file or folder name. Then I can manually close the handle. I use it often when I have problems deleting a file for which there is still a handle open. BUT I use it on my computer and not on a server so (as you already know) you need to be careful. Another useful application is filemon.exe which monitors and displays all file system activity.

You will find a lot of useful utilities in the suite.

I hope it can help you isolate the issue.
  • Options
    deV.chdeV.ch Member Posts: 543
    What kind of file export is this? Does it write in one single file? => does it create new files every time or do you write in the same file each time?
  • Options
    deV.ch wrote:
    What kind of file export is this? Does it write in one single file? => does it create new files every time or do you write in the same file each time?

New files every time.

I have the two sysinternals programs running, so just waiting for it to happen again so I can see what they pick up.