Difference between SumIndex field and Flow Field?

chandrurecchandrurec Member Posts: 560
Hi all,

I want to know what is the difference between a sun index field and flow field and also want to know how to create a sum index field in Navision.

If anyones the solution for the above mentioned query, Kindly let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
chandru.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    What about to read the basic documentation first? Or ask your mentor? Have you tried this? :?:
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Yashojit_PandhareYashojit_Pandhare Member Posts: 38
    SumIndex fields are associated with the keys of the table. You can relate multiple SumIndex fields with a particular key. Each key can have at most 20 SumIndexFields.
    SumIndexFields enable fast calculation of numeric columns in tables, even in tables with thousands of records. This is because SumIndexFields are maintained when the database record is updated.

SumIndex is a Indexing feature, to enable fast calculations, and the fields are not ment to be accessed, unlike the FlowFields.

FlowFields are virtual fields in the Table. It is not a permanent part of the table data. It is used to calculate values from another or same table based on CalcFormula specified for the field. The information in the FlowFields exists only at run time.
    To update a FlowField you can you CALCFIELDS function as: record.CALCFIELDS("FieldName")

Use F1 to get more help on this :)
  • chandrurecchandrurec Member Posts: 560
    Hi Yashojit Pandhare,

can you give me an example where the sumindex field is used in default so that I can refer to that and understand the use of sum index field.

Thanks in regards,
    chandru.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    chandrurec wrote:
    Hi Yashojit Pandhare,

can you give me an example where the sumindex field is used in default so that I can refer to that and understand the use of sum index field.

Thanks in regards,
    chandru.

Wow! Some people really believe that Mibuso (or community forums) are free training facilities [-X
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    goto
    designer
    Vendor Ledger Entries
    design
    view
    keys

Here's what I get from a simple F1...
    SumIndexFields let you quickly calculate the sums of numeric columns in tables, even in tables with thousands of records. SumIndexFields form the basis on which FlowFields are built.

A SumIndexField is associated with a key in the table. Each key can have up to 20 associated SumIndexFields. When you design your database, you can associate a decimal field with a key as a SumIndexField. This tells the DBMS to create and maintain a structure that contains the accumulated sum of the values in a column. When a user selects a new key, any SumIndexFields associated with that key become accessible.
  • chandrurecchandrurec Member Posts: 560
    Hi Savatage,

Now I got the idea of a sumindex field.

Thank you.

Regards,
    chandru.