Help with importing data into the NAV 2009 system

compwizardcompwizard Member Posts: 17
Hi Guys,

I'm new to NAV 2009 and have a general question for a project, this is the scenario:

Installed Windows Server 2003
Installed SQL Server 2008
Installed Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1

All is working great and the classic and RTC talk to each other fine.

Have gone through a number of MSDN walkthroughs for uploading data from the client to the server.

I have an external program capable of outputting data in an XML or csv format, this contains data applicable to the Vendors present in the CRONUS database, for instance Supplier Name, Supplier Code and invoice number.

I simply wish to populate this: CLICK HERE list of Purchase Invoices ready to post based on the data I already have.

I'm guessing the Puch Inv Header / Puch Inv Line tables contain the data, is it just a case of pushing my information in these areas and NAV does the rest? (I'm aware they're not nullable so will put a 0 for any field information I don't have.)

I have zero knowledge of XML / Dataports but just want a definitive answer as to the best / recommended method to do this before I pursue it.

Kindest regards
comp

Comments

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    Don't get me wrong but if you're new to NAV forget about doing any migration of transactional data. Especially if that data is from some other app. Rather focus on master and setup tables.
  • compwizardcompwizard Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the reply.

This isn't a migration, this is a deposit of new data, example:

Company A receive a Purchase Invoice which is scanned.
    My program assigns data to the image which can be outputted as xml or csv and appropriate to the Vendor informartion in NAV. (I already have this as I got it using SQL to look it up.)
    I need a method to put this data in to the NAV system so that it can be referred to within the RTC as per screen shot. Preferbaly in an existing table like Purchase Invoices.

Surely there is a tried and tested method to get external data into the NAV database provided it's in the correct format?

I'm preparred to learn how to do it, I just need a "Yes, you need to do this x ... y ... z" so I can start on the right path rather than go round in circles which is what I've been doing so far!
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    To link a scan to the NAV doc you don't need to import anything. Just put the scans in a separate db and publish them via some simple web service using the doc. number as a tag. Then modify the purchase header form to call this service (i.e. using a button) and the scan will open in the default browser.
  • compwizardcompwizard Member Posts: 17
    I'm looking at using a webservice to push the information I have in an XML format into the appropriate area of the NAV database. I'll continue to look into it, thank you for your help. \:D/