NAS cannot generate file?

alexjensenalexjensen Member Posts: 41
Hi all

I really need som help solving this (to me) strange problem:

I want to move my NAS (5.0 SP1) from and old server to a new Windows 2008 SP2 Server (64 bit). Installation, log in etc. seems to work OK. I have some tasks which the NAS handles and som of the tasks generates files to the disk. But on this server no files are generated. To make a simple test i made a codeunit with this code:

SalesInvoiceHeader.SETRANGE("No.",'910048');
Report.USEREQUESTFORM(FALSE);
Report.SETTABLEVIEW(SalesInvoiceHeader);
Report.SAVEASHTML('c:\SalesInvoice.htm');

If I run the codeunit as a normal user, it works OK.
If I run the codeunit as the NAS user (normal login), it works OK.
If I debug NAS user login, it works OK.
If I start the NAS service no file is generated but no error is raised either

Any ideas? ](*,)

AJ

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    In most cases it is bcause the user under which the service is running, have no permissions to write into the target folder... (e.g. NetworkService account have no access to the local disc).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • alexjensenalexjensen Member Posts: 41
    kine wrote:
    In most cases it is bcause the user under which the service is running, have no permissions to write into the target folder... (e.g. NetworkService account have no access to the local disc).

The user is administrator. It also works when I logon to the server using the username in question. Only when the NAS is started as a service the problem occurs.

AJ
    It's interesting. My colleague have same (or very similar) issue, but there is error in event log that "you cannot print to printer xxx'. But it worked few weeks ago, and no changes made in NAV since that. It looks like printer problem when running the service. May be some permissions on the printer? (do not forget that you need to have one or more printer defined for the user to be able to run any report).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    It's interesting. My colleague have same (or very similar) issue, but there is error in event log that "you cannot print to printer xxx'. But it worked few weeks ago, and no changes made in NAV since that. It looks like printer problem when running the service. May be some permissions on the printer? (do not forget that you need to have one or more printer defined for the user to be able to run any report).

I have seen the same message in the event log so the problem might seem similar. No changes have been made to NAV here as well. So I'm thinking that a Windows Update or similar could be the answer? I have checked permissions for the printer and its ok (Full Control).

AJ
    It looks like this... the problem could be some update in last two months... have you contacted the support already?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Which build you are using? I will check our and if the latest build will work or not...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    Which build you are using? I will check our and if the latest build will work or not...

The build no. is 31241.

We have uninstalled the last Windows Update and now some of the tasks seem to create files again. I'm still having trouble with some PDF files, but that can be another problem. But if Windows Update has created the problem how do you find out exactly what creates the problem?

AJ
    After uninstalling the latest Windows Update, it now works again. Seems I need to address the problem to Microsoft :wink:

AJ
    Have you the number of the uninstalled KB? I will try the same...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    Have you the number of the uninstalled KB? I will try the same...

After uninstalling the Windows Updates these are the actual (new) updates when I activate Windows Update again:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2482017)
    Platform Update Supplement for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2117917)
    Security Update for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2393802)
    Security Update for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2479628)
    Security Update for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2483185)
    Security Update for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2485376)
    Update for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB971029)

So it seems to be here somewhere.

AJ
    Hi again

Well - it might not "just" be a Windows Update problem. It's happening rather random at the moment. The problem has been discudded with Microsoft and log files have been investigated. Everything seems ok, but the server is virtual and Microsoft does not support NAV 5 and this platform ](*,)

AJ