Options

NAV 2009, 2-tier and webservices

bstanneveldbstanneveld Member Posts: 8
edited 2011-02-16 in NAV Three Tier
Hello everyone,

We're still on NAV40SP3 and we want to start using web services for a number of integration scenario's. Our vendor says that we can use NAV 2009 for this purpose, so I started to look into this. I found documentation that the 3-tier architecture supports the web services. We decided that migrating to this 3-tier architecture is not feasible at the moment.

Our vendor told me that the 2-tier architecture also supports webservices, but I can't find any evidence on this and after repeatedly asking our vendor, no documentation whatsoever is coming my way. So I turn to this forum :D Does anybody know if webservices are supported in the 2-tier architecture?

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards,
Bob Stanneveld

Comments

• Options
    EgnazEgnaz Member Posts: 111
    As far as I know there isn't a 2-tier architecture for web services because the middle tier is the central processing unit for web services. You have to run a middle tier which is representing the service tier. In this instance you can have 2 services, one for RTC and the other for web services.

Regards,
    egnaz
  • Options
    Egnaz wrote:
    As far as I know there isn't a 2-tier architecture for web services because the middle tier is the central processing unit for web services. You have to run a middle tier which is representing the service tier. In this instance you can have 2 services, one for RTC and the other for web services.

Regards,
    egnaz

Hi Egnaz,

Thank you for your quick response. It's just as I thought. The webservices in the 2-tier architecture don't make any sense. I still wonder why our vendor say's that the webservices work in the 2-tier environment.

Kind regards,
    Bob Stanneveld
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It works. You do not need to use whole "3-tier" architecture. You will just use 2-tier for users and the webservices service to connect external applications. It only means that the objects used by the webservices must be able to compile for use in 3-tier. But in most cases it is not problem.

And of course, for 2-tier you can use NAS and some webservice implementation (it is not problem to do it through external libraries).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    It works. You do not need to use whole "3-tier" architecture. You will just use 2-tier for users and the webservices service to connect external applications. It only means that the objects used by the webservices must be able to compile for use in 3-tier. But in most cases it is not problem.

And of course, for 2-tier you can use NAS and some webservice implementation (it is not problem to do it through external libraries).

Hi Kine,

Thanks for your reply. It explains a lot.

Kind regards,
    Bob Stanneveld
  • Options
    EgnazEgnaz Member Posts: 111
    Hi Kine,

thanks for that. It was something new for me but I learned in the last few years that in NAV you never (can) know everything :)

Regards,
    egnaz