Options

squeezing in fields in RTC report layouts

VotucVotuc Member Posts: 206
edited 2011-02-11 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

I'm upgrading a highly customized database to the RTC. In the old reports, many times a field has been "squeezed in" to a section. You just resize/ shrink the other fields around it until everything fits. The problem with the RTC reports, is in order to do this: you have to add another column to the WHOLE table. -- then you are messing up the line up of header fields which can be part of the same column.

any tips on how best to do this?? :-k

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    It's unclear what you are trying to do. Can you put a screenshot of what you mean?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    Votuc wrote:
    Hi,

I'm upgrading a highly customized database to the RTC. In the old reports, many times a field has been "squeezed in" to a section. You just resize/ shrink the other fields around it until everything fits. The problem with the RTC reports, is in order to do this: you have to add another column to the WHOLE table. -- then you are messing up the line up of header fields which can be part of the same column.

any tips on how best to do this?? :-k

Thanks.
    understood, this is one thing i hate do do: if i know that my layout will be problematic in that sense i usually proceed in 2 ways (depending on report layout, avilable time and obviously, depending from my mood :mrgreen: ).
    1. create a lot of narrow columns before creating the layout (don't use layout suggestion, obviously), and then the merge them when needed, just like an excel worksheet
    2. i create different table objects with different number of columns. Then, i keep my tables together with a list object.
    (if you need more info on the second point, just ask here :wink: )
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    edited 2011-02-09
    Thank you for the replies.

Here is an example:

First here is the section from the old, customized report. The previous programmer added a field called "Job code" (highlighted in yellow).
    example1.jpg

Here is what the "normal" "original" report looks like in the unmodified 2009 database. I can easily make Description field smaller, and put in Job Code field. However the Visual Studio RTC version is the problem.
    example2.jpg

Here is the "view layout" RTC version. The problem is: everything is in a table. All columns of the table are lined up. So if I want to add another field, I have to add an entire column to the whole table. This messes up the alignment of the other fields in other rows. What should I do in order to add this Job Code field here?? Can I shrink the Cust__Ledger_Entry__Description field (split into two cells?) and add Job code?
    example3.jpg
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    You'll need to add a column, and I don't see anything wrong with that. In classic you were shortening the description field so you could do the same.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    it's boring, but if the layout have been already done, you can't use the methods i wrote (I use them to prevent the problem, not to cure it :) )
    add the column, and then merge the cells of the other rows, if necessary
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    Votuc wrote:
    Thank you for the replies.

Here is an example:

First here is the section from the old, customized report. The previous programmer added a field called "Job code" (highlighted in yellow).
    example1.jpg

Here is what the "normal" "original" report looks like in the unmodified 2009 database. I can easily make Description field smaller, and put in Job Code field. However the Visual Studio RTC version is the problem.
    example2.jpg

Here is the "view layout" RTC version. The problem is: everything is in a table. All columns of the table are lined up. So if I want to add another field, I have to add an entire column to the whole table. This messes up the alignment of the other fields in other rows. What should I do in order to add this Job Code field here?? Can I shrink the Cust__Ledger_Entry__Description field (split into two cells?) and add Job code?
    example3.jpg

OR

Follow below steps in Report Layout..
    1. Delete Description field
    2. Add a Rectangle
    3. Place Description field and New field on Recrangle which you have added like in Classic :thumbsup:

Please let me if it doesn't work..

Sorry for the late reply..
  • Options
    OR

Follow below steps in Report Layout..
    1. Delete Description field
    2. Add a Rectangle
    3. Place Description field and New field on Recrangle which you have added like in Classic

Please let me if it doesn't work..

Sorry for the late reply..
    Hey, i've never tried this before, sounds great, but i have a question: let's say we have a similar layout

field1---field2---field4

and i want to add field3 between field2 and field4:
    following your suggestion, I cut the field2 value, i add a rectangle in its cell, and then i put 2 textboxes within the rectangle, one for field2 and one for field3, ok?
    now, what does it happen if field2 becomes very long?does it push field3 to the right or what else? :-k

EDIT: @mohana: i just noticed that your method solves this problem perfectly
    Can I shrink the Cust__Ledger_Entry__Description field (split into two cells?) and add Job code?
    but please, if you've some time to spare, answer my question, thank you! :mrgreen:
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    now, what does it happen if field2 becomes very long?does it push field3 to the right or what else? :-k

No, we should fix field 3 in the available space only.
    Otherwise as you said we have to take new column and merge..
    even in classic we will move all right side colums to right to fix the long field in middle..

Hope you understood..
  • Options

No, we should fix field 3 in the available space only.
    Otherwise as you said we have to take new column and merge..
    even in classic we will move all right side colums to right to fix the long field in middle..

Hope you understood..
    :thumbsup: got it, thank you...Handful trick, anyway
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    Want to write a blog on this bug it is not allowing to create new blog..

@Luc,Kriki: Can you create a blog with name Mohana?
  • Options
    Want to write a blog on this bug it is not allowing to create new blog..

@Luc,Kriki: Can you create a blog with name Mohana?
    you should be able to create your own blog, anyway, i think it's a feature, not a bug...now that i think about it, xtboxes can't enlarge dynamically
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    now that i think about it, xtboxes can't enlarge dynamically

I hope you know this..

We have "Can Grow" property in Report Layout which will show the whole value of the field by pushing downwords not to right...
  • Options
    edited 2011-02-11
    It's been a while since i developed my last rdlc report, but if i remember well, the cangrow works only with cell tables table cells, not with standalone textboxes. Anyway I don't know what is the behaviour of textboxes within a rectangle within a table :roll:
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    the cangrow works only with cell tables, not with textboxes.

You are right but still let me check and will come back to you later.. :-k
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    [Changed attribute to <Good Posting>]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    You guys are the best. :thumbsup: I will try your suggestions.
  • Options
    Belias wrote:
    It's been a while since i developed my last rdlc report, but if i remember well, the cangrow works only with cell tables, not with textboxes. Anyway I don't know what is the behaviour of textboxes within a rectangle within a table :roll:

Hi Belias,

If you check Report 2,General Journal - Test, the cangrow property is set for <Document Type> field textbox and its working..(just an example)

Please correct me if i am wrong.
  • Options
    I corrected my previous post:
    Belias wrote:
    the cangrow works only with cell tables table cells, not with standalone textboxes.
    but i finally have had time to test it, and actually works :mrgreen:
    I've also had time to test the rectangle in the table with two textboxes and it works as expected, too: the two textboxes grows vertically within the recangle, if cangrow is set to true. Nice One! :thumbsup:
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    Belias wrote:
    I corrected my previous post:
    Belias wrote:
    the cangrow works only with cell tables table cells, not with standalone textboxes.
    but i finally have had time to test it, and actually works :mrgreen:
    I've also had time to test the rectangle in the table with two textboxes and it works as expected, too: the two textboxes grows vertically within the recangle, if cangrow is set to true. Nice One! :thumbsup:

Thanks Mirko...

BTW, Cangrow works for standalone textboxes also..
    you need to correct this post also.. \:D/