Navision 5.0 - Server SQL 64 bit

andy76andy76 Member Posts: 616
Hello,

I ask you if Navision 5.0 is compatible with a Server Windows 2008 R2 64 bit and SQL 2008 64 bit.
Is that officially documented?

We have a customer having NAV 5 on Windows 2003 Server and SQL Server 2005 all 32 bit.

Is it enough to backup the db of SQL 2005 32 bit and restore it on SQL 2008 64 bit?
Without change of licenses / additional costs and risks?

Thank you

Andy

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    NAV 5.0 on Win 2008 64 bit : NO (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/german_nav_developer/archive/2010/03/05/zusammenfassung-der-betriebssysteme-die-von-microsoft-dynamics-nav-unterst-tzt-werden.aspx

To upgrade from SQL2005 32bit, make a SQL backup and restore it in SQL2008R2 64bit. After that, best change the DB-property "Compatibility level" to "SQL 2008".

For NAV, I advice to use NAV2009 R2.
    Your license needs to be upgraded to use NAV2009R2.

[Topic moved from 'NAV Three Tier' forum to 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    And is it really NAV 5.0 or it is NAV 5.0 SP1? ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • andy76andy76 Member Posts: 616
    5.0 not SP1
    Ok, than as Kriki wrote, no, it is not compatible...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    But why? which is the problem?
    Only the client or also the database on SQL? I don't understand..
    And about application server?
    The document which Kriki mentioned is about the NAV client. Of course, you can run the MS SQL... but i general, NAV 5.0 without SP1 is not compatible with Vista/Win7/Win2k8/Win2k8R2 systems.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    And what about Application Server 5.0 on Windows 2008 64 bit + SQL 2008 64 bit?

For the client it is not compulsory to install it on server and will be used only rarely and not by the normal user...

Thank you
    What about a technical upgrade (only client) from 5.0 to 5.0 SP1? Is that recommended?

about previous link:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/german_nav_deve ... erden.aspx

Microsoft NAV 5.0 SP1 Update 2

What is Update 2?

Thank you
    The only way to make it work is a technical upgrade to 5.0SP1 or later. (Best go directly to NAV2009R2.)

"Update 2" is a set of hotfixes all together in 1 update.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

Could be good to install on server Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit and SQL Server 2008 R2 64 bit without client NAV 5.0 and Application Server 5.0

Install the NASSQL 5.0 + the client NAV 5.0 (only for remote support) on a VM XP and leave all other clients on version NAV 5.0?

In this way are there risks or full compatibility?

Is NAV 5.0 fully compatible with a virtual infrastructure (server side)?

Thank you.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kriki wrote:

"Update 2" is a set of hotfixes all together in 1 update.

Be very very careful. SP1 Update 2 is absolutely NOT compatible with 5.00 objects. Even on small databases, the system will slow down to a crawl. You will have to do a lot of code changes to use update 2.
    David Singleton
    But I mean without any technical upgrade.
    Mantain all the client to version NAV 5.0 same that database but DB on Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit + SQL Server 2008 R2 64 bit.

Are there problems for server (SQL and Application Server) not physique but virtualized?

Thank you
    NAV 5.0 is not compatible with Windows 2008! So it is definitely not possible to run the client (or NAS) on Windows 2008!
    I don't know if NAV5.0 is compatible with SQL 2008. I don't think there are problems but I am not sure.

SQL server and NAS in a virtualized environment is not a problem. But for the SQL server, the same rules apply as for a physical machine (especially this one): DEDICATED PHYSICAL DISKS!
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

I understood that a client NAV 5.0 installed directly on Windows 2008 has problem for the operating system - 64 bit.
    But if the client is installed on a client XP that connect to a server Windows 2008 with only database SQL... I don't think that there are problem on that. Could you confirm?
    You could create a Win 2003 (32bit) server in VM ware and use RDP onto that virtual machine to run Nav 5.0 and those clients could then connect to Win2008 (64bit) server in a different VMware with SQL 2008 running on that.

I have run that configuration, but make sure you have a real VMware expert, AND a real Navision SQL expert working together to make it work properly.
    David Singleton
    andy76 wrote:
    But if the client is installed on a client XP that connect to a server Windows 2008 with only database SQL... I don't think that there are problem on that. Could you confirm?
    I can't confirm that. But I can confirm that 5.0 is out of support.
    You could create a Win 2003 (32bit) server in VM ware and use RDP onto that virtual machine to run Nav 5.0 and those clients could then connect to Win2008 (64bit) server in a different VMware with SQL 2008 running on that.

I have run that configuration, but make sure you have a real VMware expert, AND a real Navision SQL expert working together to make it work properly.
    One small problem : Windows 2003 (R2) will be out of mainstream support by may this year so it is not a good idea to still use the Windows 2003 (R2). (And the same goes for SQL2005...).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

The thing that actually do not understand is a technical upgrade of only client to 5.0 sp1 makes modification to the database?
    Which risks are there?

We can not migrate of version the objects at the moment because they are really very customized.

Thank you very much.
    andy76 wrote:
    The thing that actually do not understand is a technical upgrade of only client to 5.0 sp1 makes modification to the database?
    Which risks are there?

We can not migrate of version the objects at the moment because they are really very customized.

Thank you very much.

the big issue is performance. It may be faster, it may be slower it may be the same, but only testing will tell you that.
    David Singleton
  • pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    andy76 wrote:
    the big issue is performance. It may be faster, it may be slower it may be the same, but only testing will tell you that.
    The reason for it, is that 5SP1 (even different 5SP1 builds) uses different SQL cursor types, which often results in different execution plans regarding index usage. Whether they will be better or worse than today can only tests tell you. But as a rule of thump: "If your NAV is optimized for run-time buildno X, expect it to perform like shit on run-time buildno Y unless proven otherwise"...
    Regards
    Peter
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    kriki wrote:
    andy76 wrote:
    I can't confirm that. But I can confirm that 5.0 is out of support.

One small problem : Windows 2003 (R2) will be out of mainstream support by may this year so it is not a good idea to still use the Windows 2003 (R2). (And the same goes for SQL2005...).

A small clarification: Actually Windows Server 2003 R2 ended mainstream support in July 2010. SQL 2005 is what ends in April 2011.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    bbrown wrote:
    A small clarification: Actually Windows Server 2003 R2 ended mainstream support in July 2010.
    Oops, I am already behind #-o
    Regards,Alain Krikilion