Latin-1 and Cyrillic in the same DB: native OK, SQL not?

Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
Strange that it was not discussed much here, searched mibuso and no definitive answer... it must be a common scenario: Western company has a subsidiary in Russia, Ukraine or Serbia. Can they have them as a company in the same database?

In native yes, tested, works.

But in SQL there will be, I think a problem with the collation.

I even heard a rumour that you can't even have them on the same server in SQL... not sure why, as you don't necessarily have to use Windows collation, do you?

Anyone have some experience in this?

Comments

• Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    Does anyone have any ideas / experiences regarding this?
  • JedrzejTJedrzejT Member Posts: 267
    Hello,

One of My customer have one database for Holland, England and Poland offices
    After uncheck "Validate code page" on "collation" tab in "alter database" it works fine, and every user can use his special character in database.

I remember there was a problem after changing this option in not empty database. (but maybe this problem was after changing collation descpription...im not sure about this)
    Database is crush after this because in some tables some records have the same "primary key" after job is done.
    So before changing this one better check for "special characters" in primary key in tables and rename.