Service Charge Acc. on Customer Posting Groups Table

knmknm Member Posts: 170
When setting up the Customer/Vendor Posting Groups Table, when I enter a GL account that doesn't have "Gen. Prod. Posting Group" assigned, then NAV will return the following error message

Gen. Prod. Posting Group must have a value in G/L Account: No.=<ACCT#>. It cannot be zero or empry.

I have several questions with regards to this.

1. Why do I have to assign the "Gen. Prod. Posting Group" to the Service Charge Acc.?

2. Where does the "Service Charge Acc." on Customer/Vendor Posting Group get used in NAV? (Service granule is currently not expected to be setup in NAV)

Thank you.

Kenji

Answers

• knmknm Member Posts: 170
    Anyone?
    Nobody uses this??
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    If you want answers immediately, contact your local solution partner. This is a community where contributors volunteer their time to answer questions. So they can choose which questions they want to answer.

Have you checked the help on what the Service Charge is? It has very little to do with service management other than invoicing the services.

No, you shouldn't get an error if you're posting straight into the Service Charge Account using the general journal. Have you checked your G/L account to see if the GBPG has been assigned?
    Alex,

Thanks for your response.
    Yes, since I still had questions after checking the NAV help file, I decided to post my question here.

I'm sorry if I sounded demanding on this.

I'm always appreciative of this forum for the big supports that I'm getting!

Thank you!!

Kenji
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    If you do a search on Service Charge on the NAV help, you'll see this:
    Sales Invoice Discounts and Service Charges
    When you use invoice discounts, the size of the invoice amount determines the size of the discount that is granted.

In the Cust. Invoice Discounts window, you can also add a service charge to invoices over a certain amount.

Before you can use invoice discounts with sales, you must enter certain information in the program. You must decide:

which customers will be granted this type of discount.

which discount percentages you will use.

Automatic Calculation of Invoice Discounts
    If you want the program to automatically calculate invoice discounts, you can set this up in the Sales & Receivables Setup window.

Setting Up Invoice Discount Terms
    For each customer, you can specify whether you will grant invoice discounts if the requirement is satisfied (that is, if the invoice amount is large enough). You can define the terms of the invoice discount in $ for domestic customers and in foreign currency for foreign customers.

You link discount percentages to specific invoice amounts in Cust. Invoice Discounts windows. You can enter any number of percentages in each window. Each customer can have its own window, or you can link several customers to the same window.

In addition to (or instead of) a discount percentage, you can link a service charge amount to a specific invoice amount.

Tip
    Before you start entering this information in the program, it is a good idea to prepare an outline of the discount structure you want to use. This makes it easier to see which customers can be linked to the same invoice discount window. The fewer windows you have to set up, the faster you can enter the basic information.

You'll see that this field is related to the invoice discount feature in NAV.