Drop Shipment: Link between Purch.- and Sales Order removed

fvefve Member Posts: 28
I have a question regarding Drop Shipments.

When a Sales Order is entered, and a Purchase Order is created using the Req. Worksheet, a link between the Sales Order Line and the Purchase Order Line is established:
- In the Sales Order Line, fields "Purchase Order No." and "Purchase Order Line No." are automatically filled,
- In the Purchase Order Line, fields "Sales Order No." and "Sales Order Line No." are automatically filled.

So far, so good.

Now, when I have posted the Purchase Order, and a Sales Shipment is created as well, I want to invoice the Items that were sold.

I create a Sales Invoice, and Post it.
After the Sales Invoice is posted, the link between the Sales Order Line and the Purchase Order Line is removed, because the fields mentioned above were cleared during Post of the Sales Invoice in CU80, function UpdateAssocLines():
UpdateAssocLines(VAR SalesOrderLine : Record "Sales Line")
  PurchOrderLine.GET(
    PurchOrderLine."Document Type"::Order,
    SalesOrderLine."Purchase Order No.",SalesOrderLine."Purch. Order Line No.");
  PurchOrderLine."Sales Order No." := '';
  PurchOrderLine."Sales Order Line No." := 0;
  PurchOrderLine.MODIFY;
  SalesOrderLine."Purchase Order No." := '';
  SalesOrderLine."Purch. Order Line No." := 0;

I would like to keep this link between Purchase Order and Sales Order.
Can anyone tell me why this link is removed, and if there are any objections to disable this function in CU80?

Comments

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    The questions that came up reading your post are:
    - Why would you want to keep the link?
    - Where would you like to keep the link? (At posting both orders get deleted)
  • fvefve Member Posts: 28
    Hmmm... When I wrote this question, I didn't realize that orders indeed are deleted when posted in Standard Navision.
    We have an add-on which prevents the removal upon posting.

Could it be that the link between Purchase Order and Sales Order is removed in order to be able to remove the documents?
    In that case, I could indeed keep the link without any problems... right?
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    At some time both orders should be archived. Check if the order numbers are preserved there, I'm not sure. Keeping orders after they have been posted makes no sense.
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    fve wrote:
    Hmmm... When I wrote this question, I didn't realize that orders indeed are deleted when posted in Standard Navision.
    That is only half way correct. When you post the sales invoice for a drop shipment the sales order might be fully posted and could be deleted but the purchase order will definitely remain as the purchase invoice is still missing. For this reason the link between SO and PO is broken in case the sales invoiced quantity equals the ordered quantity.
    If your supplier has only partially shipped the link remains until the line is fully shipped and invoiced.
    fve wrote:
    Could it be that the link between Purchase Order and Sales Order is removed in order to be able to remove the documents?
    In that case, I could indeed keep the link without any problems... right?
    Just try in a test system. I can't tell what happens during posting of the purchase invoice if the link is still existing because I never saw the necessity to keep the link (you never answered the question why you want to keep the link).
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting