[Closed] Multiple field rename

EgnazEgnaz Member Posts: 111
Hi there,

I have to rename multiple fields in my db.

Explanation:
I have a field called "EAN13" I have to rename it to "EAN" in all places (table field, text constant, etc.) Is there a tool to find all places or to rename it automatically? I can't (don't want) use text editor and change it in the file and import the changed file again.

Has anyone done something like that?

Regards
Egnaz

Comments

• bekiobekio Member Posts: 204
    Make a list form from table Field, and than filter EAN13 and you should get all the fields with name EAN12, or(EAN*) to get all fields starting with EAN. And from that form you can rename fileds.
  • EgnazEgnaz Member Posts: 111
    Hi bekio,

thanks for reply.

That's works and is ok for me, but I need to get all others places also. The value "EAN13" in an text constants or an option string must be changed to "EAN".

Greets
  • bekiobekio Member Posts: 204
    edited 2011-01-24
    You should use your first option, export to text files objects and rename fields.
    :(
    I supposed that this is the only working solution but hopefully I'm looking forward that somebody has a tool for doing this.

Thanks again bekio

I'll let this topic open for a while maybe there is a other solution.
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    There is no tool for doing that at least not an official one which would do that a 100%.

The fact here is that you don't "have to" rename the entities but you "want to" do that. The question is "why" do you want to do such a risky thing? If you discovered that the names of the given entities are "wrong" you should consider to leave them as they are and choose another name for the new ones (I presume that this is the issue) after all the program is working fine as is. If the "wrong" names also appear in forms and reports you should change that by using the Caption property.
    Ok, I'm going to discuss this issues with the project leader. I'm with you!

Thanks and "closed" :)