NAV 5.0 client compatibility with NAV 4.0 SP1 database?

dverghesedverghese Member Posts: 8
We are currently on NAV 4.0 SP1 (4.0 SP3) and am considering upgrading to 5.0 of the client because support for NAV 4.0 has expired.

Can anyone tell me if NAV 5.0 client with NAV 4.0 SP1 database is supported by Microsoft?
Are the benefits primarily performance and tools related enhancements?
Any known issues with doing this - things we need to watch out for?

Would one have to do end to end testing if we do the client upgrade.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis.

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    As long as your license is updated to be able to use version 5.0, it'll be fine.

If you're current on the enhancement plan, why not upgrade the executables to NAV2009 R2? Just skip 5.0.
  • dverghesedverghese Member Posts: 8
    Out partner mentioned "We can only take you to the 5.0 executable. Microsoft does not support NAV 2009 executable with anything but the NAV 2009 database objects. NAV 5.0 is a supported version by Microsoft so you will be on a supported version of the executable if we take you to that point."

Since our company was acquired recently our primary objective right now is to be on a Microsoft supported platform.
    The classic client for NAV2009 R2 is still supported. If anything, 5.0 will be discontinued long before NAV2009 R2 classic client.
    Alex,

Thanks for your input.

Dennis.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Just one question: Which database system you are using? Native DB? MS SQL 2000 or 2005/2008/2008R2?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    dverghese wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if NAV 5.0 client with NAV 4.0 SP1 database is supported by Microsoft?
    No it is not supported.
    dverghese wrote:
    Are the benefits primarily performance and tools related enhancements?
    Any known issues with doing this - things we need to watch out for?

Would one have to do end to end testing if we do the client upgrade.
    It might be faster it might be slower. You may need to change your hardware (RAM and TempDB may need to change). But you will know this after you do extensive testing.

There is code in 4sp1 that will not work with 5.00 executable and can give errors. For example the MAX function in FlowFilters works differently, and there is an issue in some builds with the way INSERT(TRUE) works.

As Alex suggests, go straight to 2009R2 and do lots and lots of testing.
    David Singleton
    edited 2011-01-22
    dverghese wrote:
    Out partner mentioned "We can only take you to the 5.0 executable. Microsoft does not support NAV 2009 executable with anything but the NAV 2009 database objects. NAV .0 is a supported version by Microsoft so you will be on a supported version of the executable if we take you to that point."

That is simply not true.

Ask your partner to get in writing from Microsoft that they will support 4.00sp1 objects running on 5.00sp1 executables.
    David Singleton
    kine wrote:
    Just one question: Which database system you are using? Native DB? MS SQL 2000 or 2005/2008/2008R2?

Opps I never even thought of that, simply assumed SQL.

Denis if you are on Native, then 4/5 and 2009 perform identically, there have been no updates to the native database for about 10 years now. You still will NOT have a supported system though. You must have the same object and exe versions, down to SP level.
    David Singleton
    dverghese wrote:
    Out partner mentioned "We can only take you to the 5.0 executable. Microsoft does not support NAV 2009 executable with anything but the NAV 2009 database objects. NAV .0 is a supported version by Microsoft so you will be on a supported version of the executable if we take you to that point."

That is simply not true.

Ask your partner to get in writing from Microsoft that they will support 4.00sp1 objects running on 5.00sp1 executables.

That's right. I forgot there's a new policy in Microsoft where they would not support mixed environment. But I thought this only applied to the RTC environment?
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Alex Chow wrote:
    dverghese wrote:

That is simply not true.

That's right. I forgot there's a new policy in Microsoft where they would not support mixed environment. But I thought this only applied to the RTC environment?

It's actually been their policy all along. They just seem to be comminicating it more.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    We are on SQL 2005.