Options

Dimensions Allocations

PmPm Member Posts: 16
Hi all,

Sometimes we have to post a purchase invoice without knowing how to classify the Dimension Department (just an example). In that cases what we do is to assign a specific value, "not categorized".

At the end of the month, it's important to assign the values in the "not categorized" dimension to the real ones... By percentage for example.

How can I do that in Navision 3.70A?

- Is this a report problem? Should I make reports that give me the information I want?
- Or should I try to "fix" the dimension values, doing some programming?

Thanks for your help,

Comments

• Options
    RobertMoRobertMo Member Posts: 484
    If you need just to assign different dimension, you could do some programming, but if you want to split it can be much harder.

Where does this “undefined” dimension bother you?
    If it is G/L only you could use a General Journal to post a "storno" to the whole amount for "Undefined" dimension for a month per account and then add several lines among which you want to split the amount.

On the other hand is the dimension really so undefined at the time of posting?
    Maybe you could post to the dimension that has biggest share? Or you could use predefined shares for each dimension. At the end of the month you calculate real shares and you use them for next month.

How big impact has this on totals? Maybe it is not worth if you are trying to catch a penny…
               ®obi           
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    Thanks for your help :D

Well, the most important is to split the value from the "non categorized" dimension to the real ones. Something like that: 80% to Dimension A and 20% to Dimension B at the end of the month.

The problem is that:
    - I want an automated solution, with little work for the end user. (Periodic Journals?)
    - Of course, I don't want to change the values in the G/L Accounts but only in the dimensions...

Do you have more suggestions?
    Thank's a lot,
  • Options
    I have made a small add-on for allocations to be used for splitting phone/electricity/etc. bills among several dimensions.

In setup you define several allocation keys and for each key you specify several lines among which the amount is to be split. For each line you define which dimensions to use and what the percentage share of each line is.

This is then used in Lines in Purchase order/Purchase Invoice.
    User just enters the G/L Account (let say a cost account) in a line, selects a proper key, enters total amount and then presses the "Splitting" button.

That's it.
               ®obi           
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    Thank's Robert,

That will be excellent. If I need that Add-on I will contact you...
    But that resolves the problem when you introduce data.

And at the end of the month? Do you have something done? I can't use the periodic journal because I don't want to change the amounts in the G/L Accounts. Should I use a false G/L Account? And make little development in periodic journals?

I'm not sure if it's the best solution...
    Thanks in anticipating,
  • Options
    Well the customer never wanted to do some "end of month" adjustments. The splitting (even to various GL accounts) is done before posting and that's it.
    In all cases the key was quite accurate and not changing significantly through time.

From practical point of view splitting electricity bill 80/20 or 81/19 doesn’t make a big difference. Of course if it is recognized that some department has got a new 2000W electric heater, then you might adjust your keys...

For all other adjustments they use General Journal as I mentioned before.
               ®obi           
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯